topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 64 bit Explorer copy replacement?  (Read 4097 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
64 bit Explorer copy replacement?
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:52 AM »
I'm looking to try an Explorer copy replacement tool.  I read some good things about NiceCopier but there seems to be no 64 bit download that is up to date.  Likewise projects like schizocopy haven't been updated since 2012.

Right now I'm using TeraCopy free version.  But it's less than thrilling on Windows 8.0 64 bit.  Anyone using a nice freeware x64?  I'm not looking for a file manager.  I have Total Commander installed if I ever get around to learning to use it.  :)  Just looking for more copy/move features and Explorer gives in a native 64 bit tool.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 64 bit Explorer copy replacement?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Just curious- how is file copying made better by a native 64-bit client?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:40 PM »
Just curious- how is file copying made better by a native 64-bit client?

It has features Explorer doesn't have(such as pause and resume copy.)  But for the 32 vs 64 bit, if you run a 32 bit file copy or file manager program there is folder redirection due to 32 bit emulation provided by SysWow64.  The 32 bit program can turn the redirection off but there are side effects. (In the world of meanings flipped to the opposite, on 64 bit systems the System32 folder has 64 bit modules. SysWow64 has 32 bit ones.)  :)

This is an Explorer replacement.  Otherwise it's not that big a deal to run say, FreeCommander 32 bit file manager.  I assume there are Dlls hooked in to replace Explorer in the shell but I haven't looked into it in that much detail.

Just bypassing the emulation should give some improvement over the same application in 32 bit.  Although memory allocation chunks can be larger.  For file copy it likely sets up some memory buffer perhaps after doing some benchmark or just checking the amount of ram. TeraCopy used to have an .ini setting to let you specify the memory buffer size.  Some let you have different buffer sizes for network, physical HD etc..

I'm not certain but I think replacing Explorer requires the same bitness.  But it's no longer cut and dried.  The Explorer in the SysWow64 emulation folder used to be 32 bits.  You could bypass some incompatibilities for context menu handlers and the like on x64 by specifying the 32 bit Explorer(this is how my HalfShell utility worked.)  But they changed it for some unspecified reason.  It was Microsoft's own work-around too, which always struck me as bizarre.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:48 PM by MilesAhead »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:53 PM »
It has features Explorer doesn't have(such as pause and resume copy.)  But for the 32 vs 64 bit, if you run a 32 bit file copy or file manager program there is folder redirection due to 32 bit emulation provided by SysWow64.  The 32 bit program can turn the redirection off but there are side effects. (In the world of meanings flipped to the opposite, on 64 bit systems the System32 folder has 64 bit modules. SysWow64 has 32 bit ones.)  :)

From what I know, this isn't what folder redirection is, nor what the purpose is.

But to answer the question, you might look to this article: http://www.techsuppo...ile-copy-utility.htm

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:56 PM »
It has features Explorer doesn't have(such as pause and resume copy.)  But for the 32 vs 64 bit, if you run a 32 bit file copy or file manager program there is folder redirection due to 32 bit emulation provided by SysWow64.  The 32 bit program can turn the redirection off but there are side effects. (In the world of meanings flipped to the opposite, on 64 bit systems the System32 folder has 64 bit modules. SysWow64 has 32 bit ones.)  :)

From what I know, this isn't what folder redirection is, nor what the purpose is.
  Perhaps you could be more specific?

But to answer the question, you might look to this article: http://www.techsuppo...ile-copy-utility.htm

Been there.  Done that.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Re: Folder Redirection: https://technet.micr...ibrary/cc732275.aspx

Is there some specific feature that you're looking for?  Not knowing what you're specifically not liking nor needing makes making recommendations problematic, as seen by the recommendation given and the response to the same.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Re: Folder Redirection: https://technet.micr...ibrary/cc732275.aspx

Is there some specific feature that you're looking for?  Not knowing what you're specifically not liking nor needing makes making recommendations problematic, as seen by the recommendation given and the response to the same.

I'm talking about the folder redirection done by the 32 bit emulator.  There are many programs with Windows\System32 hard wired.  If they didn't intercept it and redirect it to Windows\SysWow64 the 32 bit programs would not run.  Windows\System32 now has 64 bit drivers,Dlls etc..

Likewise keys in the registry used by 32 bit programs are redirected.
All I can think of is MS did not want to have to rewrite their own code when porting it to 64 bit.

As for the Explorer replacement it looks like my choices will be limited to free 64 bit ones I can find.  There may not be that many to try.  But basically I think I would like to try those with the ability to remove jobs that haven't been started from the list, pause resume.. including recovery from system interruption etc..  None are mandatory but at least on W 8.0 the built in Explorer is kind of a dog.  By the time it pops up the graph with the sine wave, most other copiers would be done with the job, unless the files are large.  It's just slow off the dime.