topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pale Moon browser now available on Android  (Read 11173 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pale Moon browser now available on Android
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:27 AM »
As per the subject title: Pale Moon on Google Play

2015-02-28 21_25_06.jpg

Release notes

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pale Moon browser now available on Android
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Been using it off and on for a while now. Not sure if I like it or not.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:03 PM »
Seems to be a little faster in browsing, (subjective naturally) ... I'll use it just because it fires up faster than Firefox.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Been using it off and on for a while now. Not sure if I like it or not.
Can you say a bit more about what you're not liking?  And, for that matter, what you do like?

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Palemoon is good on Android although Dolphin and UC browser are excellent too (the later i find fastest)!
Apparently Maxthon is more secure in WiFi environments like the airport.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:24 PM by dantheman »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:00 PM »
As per the subject title: Pale Moon on Google Play
Thanks very much, 4wd, for posting about the new Android version of Pale Moon.  I just tried it, and I was quite impressed.  Most of the browsers I've tried (on both my Nexus 7 tablet and my smartphone) often don't format the web pages well.  To my surprise, Pale Moon does a very good job.  It may turn out to have problems I haven't yet discovered, but at least for now, it has become my browser of choice on both tablet and phone.  :up:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Can you say a bit more about what you're not liking?  And, for that matter, what you do like?

Sorry. I can be a bit cryptic sometimes. Okay, all the time. :)

As for the browser itself, it's a solid performer. It's only when I started trying to add addons/extensions to duplicate the functionality I get with Dolphin that things got a little wonky with configuration UIs misbehaving or not being visible at all.

So....my grumpiness involves addons/extensions and not Pale Moon itself.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Thanks, Innuendo, for your response.  No problem about being a bit cryptic--someone with the screenname Innuendo is by definition likely to be a bit cryptic, no?

I've never tried UC browser, but I like Dolphin and have it on my tablet.  One of my main issues is how the browser formats the websites, and though Dolphin does a good job, I think Pale Moon's renditions are even more to my liking, at least, in the default state.  Since I use relatively little in the way of add-ons, etc. on my Android browsers, I can't really compare Dolphin and Pale Moon.  They both permit me to use Last Pass, which is important to me.  Pale Moon offers a save to PDF option that I haven't found in Dolphin, but I haven't looked exhaustively.  I don't have all that many requirements of Android browsers.  The one add-on I'd add in a heartbeat (and pay $ for) if it were available is Lazarus, which I have on both Firefox and Pale Moon on my Windows computers.  But as far as I know, Lazarus is only available for Windows.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Thanks, Innuendo, for your response.  No problem about being a bit cryptic--someone with the screenname Innuendo is by definition likely to be a bit cryptic, no?

As time goes on I find that I'm slowly turning into one of those absent-minded professors one used to see in older movies. I will spout off (usually) insightful comments, but they are cryptic to everyone but me while I obliviously work on whatever project I am preoccupied with...blind to the surroundings and people around me.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Well, that's that. Pale Moon for Android has been discontinued.

I blame 4wd. Development was going great until he started this thread.  :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Well, that's a pitty, PM being discontinued :o
I switched when this thread made me aware of it, and prefer it much over Chrome.
I'll now try to switch to Firefox, it seems to need some more attention :up:

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Yes, I too was VERY disappointed to read the news.  The PM browser meets my needs better than any other I've tried, and I've tried probably half a dozen.  However, Moonchild (the PM developer) has said he plans to release one more update for PM4A, and he thinks it should extend PM4A's use for quite a while.  So for now I'll continue to use PM.  However, I've also started to think about what to replace PM with when the time comes.  My current thinking is the Dolphin browser.  It works with LastPass, my password manager (had it not done so, that would have been a deal breaker).  It renders most web sites well.  It offers DuckDuckGo as one of several search engines.  One feature PM offers that Dolphin apparently does not is the "Save as PDF" option; it's one I use a lot, since I can save sites as pdfs and then show them to people even if I don't have an Internet connection (my Nexus 7 tablet accesses the Internet only through wi-fi).  For a while, I kept Firefox on my tablet because it has the save to pdf feature, but I wasn't happy with Firefox in other ways. 

I might mention that someone on the PM forum called attention to an article about good Android browsers.  It mentions neither PM nor Dolphin, but it might be useful.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 10:33 PM »
I blame 4wd. Development was going great until he started this thread.  :)

I blame him too! ... Wait ...  :huh:

Well that's crap, it is the best browser for me on Android ... I guess I'll keep using it until the addons I'm using stop working on it or someone comes out with something at least comparable.

Maybe we can convince mouser and Deo to extend their Android programming experience somewhat  :)

One feature PM offers that Dolphin apparently does not is the "Save as PDF" option;

There's an add-on available for Dolphin that I've used in the past: Web to PDF
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:41 AM by 4wd »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 03:05 AM »
Most mobile Android browsers lack a compression proxy feature. Opera, Chrome, that's it. :(