topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AOL Shutting Down all of it's enthusiast blogs  (Read 2476 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AOL Shutting Down all of it's enthusiast blogs
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:03 PM »
I found out about it from the post on massively: http://massively.joy.../massively-that-was/

This sites shuttered include (not sure if/what the final tally is)

Massively
Joystiq (to be enfolded into engadget)
TUAW

Not sure if this is a move to paid content, or just a cost-saving measure.  But it does show the perils of becoming attached to free news services.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AOL Shutting Down all of it's enthusiast blogs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:35 PM »
it does show the perils of becoming attached to free news services.

This! :Thmbsup:

I thought this part Brianna Royce's post neatly summed it up:

I would like to be able to tell you truthfully that this is an equitable and just decision that makes some sort of logical sense, but the reality is that our overlords' decisions have always been unfathomable. I know more of what I know about corporate from reading tech and finance news than through my own job. We all suspected this was coming eventually a year ago when a VP whose name I don't even know and who never read our site chose to reward our staggering, hard-won 40% year-over-year page view growth by... hacking our budget in half. There's nothing to do in the face of that kind of logic but throw your hands in the air. It's not about merit or lack thereof, and it's not about journalism or gaming being dead or anything grand like that, so there's no point in taking it personally.

But for me, it's hard not to.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:45 PM by 40hz »