topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DxO photo software 30% off January 2015  (Read 5395 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DxO photo software 30% off January 2015
« on: January 24, 2015, 03:35 PM »
The February 2015 edition of NPhoto magazine contains reviews of a handful of image editing programs.  DxO Optics Pro from DxO Labs compensates for distortion, fringing, edge softness and vignetting caused by digital camera lenses, but it also contains a RAW converter that NPhoto's reviewers consider arguably the best RAW converter in the group they tested (reading between the lines, PhaseOne's Capture One Pro 8 might be even better in some ways, but more expensive).  Until the end of January 2015 DxO have a sale that offers around 30% off their products, including the complete suite of three.  Apart from Optics Pro, they offer ViewPoint for geometric perspective correction tools (e.g. wide-angle distortion) and FilmPack, which emulates the look of a wide range of films, and to some extent of old film camera lenses.

Looks like the latest version, DxO OpticsPro 10, needs Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 64-bit and doesn't support Vista or earlier.  See Help Center/Frequently Asked Questions/DxO Labs product operating system compatibility.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:41 PM by rjbull »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DxO photo software 30% off January 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:03 PM »
I couldnt find the review, but I presume that so far it's only in the magazine itself.
Probably worth reading this page (from photoventure.com - mini-review of DXO Optics Pro 9) which more or less says that DxO is mainly of interest for raw images http://www.photovent...est-raw-processor/4/

Although it can be used to adjust JPEG images, the main purpose of DxO Optics Pro is working with raw files.

It uses DXO’s analysis of lens and camera performance to correct optical aberrations, distortions and corner shading or softness and reduce noise visibility using lens and camera profiles.

The profiles available vary depending upon the version you have, high-end and pro camera owners need the Elite version, so it’s important to check which package is correct for your camera.

It’s worth noting that the Lightroom and Photoshop versions of Camera Raw also come with camera and lens correction profiles, but they aren’t produced with the same scientific rigour as DXO’s.

Noise control is one of Optic Pro’s strengths, but you’ll need a separate editing package for image organisation or if you want to work with layers or make localised adjustments.
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:47 AM »
I don't think NPhoto/N-Photo magazine put much content online.  They have a digital edition as well as a print one, so presumably want you to subscribe  :huh:

The review you posted chimes with what else I've heard about DxO, but it's worth knowing that they've just changed the configurations of their Standard and Elite packages.  Previously, Elite was for high-end cameras.  Now, both versions handle all cameras, but you need the Elite version for the more advanced tools.  Which, almost inevitably, includes the one little feature you really, really wanted...

I'm a bit ambivalent about the offer because I'm still on 32-bit Vista, which isn't supported under DxO's latest versions, and have no immediate plans to change computer/OS.  Actually, I wonder if it's a bad time to buy a new computer because the well-liked Win7 is gone, at least I believe Microsoft are no longer supporting it and full versions are sold out, the cordially-hated Win8/8.l is dying, and Win10 isn't here yet.  Sigh.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:44 PM »
The review you posted chimes with what else I've heard about DxO, but it's worth knowing that they've just changed the configurations of their Standard and Elite packages.  Previously, Elite was for high-end cameras.  Now, both versions handle all cameras, but you need the Elite version for the more advanced tools.  Which, almost inevitably, includes the one little feature you really, really wanted...

thanks rj.
I see a sort-of-a comparision here. The 'Essential' version seems to compare well. No noise reduction at raw level seems like the big difference - considering though that the noise reduction is one of it's strong points, that does make the decision more difficult :-/

I'm a bit ambivalent about the offer because I'm still on 32-bit Vista, which isn't supported under DxO's latest versions, and have no immediate plans to change computer/OS.  Actually, I wonder if it's a bad time to buy a new computer because the well-liked Win7 is gone, at least I believe Microsoft are no longer supporting it and full versions are sold out, the cordially-hated Win8/8.l is dying, and Win10 isn't here yet.  Sigh.

my two cents:
as someone who's only ever used OEMs for desktop machines, and has a Win7 pc and a Win8.1 laptop - I'd go for a pc without OS, and a windows 7 oem. It gets supported for another 5 years and it might not get any better (versions 8/10).
FWIW you can get multilingual OEMs (usually DELL) on ebay.de for less than 30€ .e.g. here. (Disclaimer: those OEMs are classified as german - I have used one but cant remember how much german language is involved before you can change it).
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 04:26 PM »
as someone who's only ever used OEMs for desktop machines, and has a Win7 pc and a Win8.1 laptop - I'd go for a pc without OS, and a windows 7 oem. It gets supported for another 5 years and it might not get any better (versions 8/10).
FWIW you can get multilingual OEMs (usually DELL) on ebay.de for less than 30€

I thought OEM versions of Windows were the versions Microsoft sell to hardware manufacturers, and weren't released into the "wild," except when they were superannuated bin ends?  I'm surprised if OEM versions could be found on eBay, but maybe I should take a look!  Thanks for the tip.  Whatever machine I have next, I'd really like to have proper install disks, not just some kind of rescue disk.  It's good if Win7 lasts for a few years as XP and 7 seem to be the best-ever versions.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:39 AM »
I thought OEM versions of Windows were the versions Microsoft sell to hardware manufacturers, and weren't released into the "wild," except when they were superannuated bin ends?  I'm surprised if OEM versions could be found on eBay, but maybe I should take a look!  Thanks for the tip.  Whatever machine I have next, I'd really like to have proper install disks, not just some kind of rescue disk.  It's good if Win7 lasts for a few years as XP and 7 seem to be the best-ever versions.

I dont know the exact details, but someone brought MS to court here in Germany a few years back, with the result that they can legally be sold to 'ordinary' individuals here in .de land. Some of them ship international. As I say, the language thing would need to be checked out, how that works in a 7 install. You might be lucky and find an English one... (if you need help with it at any stage feel free to PM)
Tom