My wife came into my office today and said: "I want an email host of my own, where I can get emails without spam on my iPhone and iPad!"
History: After a rather nasty email to my email host the other day, they ignored me, as I had expected. Not that they did not deserve a few honest words, but I am sure they did not think so :-)
Back to the present. Since I could not guarantee a very good spam filter without going to Gmail, but I did not want to upset my wife's four own-domain email boxes in her email client (Becky, the best), my brain suddenly (guess I wanted to survive!!!), but unexpectedly, started to put together all it had digested unconsciously during the last week, and here is what I came up with (tested successfully with one of my emails and my gmail and my iPhone):
- I created a gmail account and set it for IMAP
- I created a new mailbox in my email client (Becky; did I say it is the best?), with the IMAP settings for my gmail address
- I downloaded and installed the gmail app on my iPhone, which meant I needed to do nothing; it set it self up with the gmail settings.
- Then, for the existing email address of mine that I used to check this whole thing (let's call it [email protected]
; in Becky, my email client)), I set a filter that meant that all messages that arrived in its Inbox were copied to the Inbox of my Gmail mailbox (in Becky).
So, here is the process:
Message to [email protected]
to my email host > SpamAssassin "removes" 80 % of spam > Message to POPFile (my on-computer spam filter app, removing more or less the remaining 20 % of the spams) > Inbox of the [email protected]
mailbox in Becky > copy of message to Gmail Inbox in Becky.
Since Gmail in Becky is IMAP, the message in question (if NOT spam) is now also available on my iPhone.
The only drawback is that (a) messages to [email protected]
that are responded to on the iPhone or (b) new messages sent from the iPhone are not sent to the relevant mailbox in Becky (email client). So, when this is set up for my wife, she will have to look, from time to time, in the Gmail Sent box in Becky and drag sent messages that she want to save to the relevant other mailbox in Becky.
Today is Sunday. Tomorrow, Monday, I will implement this for her four email addresses. On Tuesday, she will work with it. Come Wednesday, my wife will come in to my office and say: "I shouldn't have to drag messages from the Gmail Sent box to my other mailboxes!" Whereupon I will break down and cry.