topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Giving gamers two windows to the Web: Opera for NDS  (Read 3726 times)

XKnight

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Giving gamers two windows to the Web: Opera for NDS
« on: June 09, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Probably this is not new to some of you. But I found it today and was very pleasent with the news!
On February 15, 2006 Opera Software announced that it was going to deliver the World Wide Web to Nintendo DS users.

In my opinion these are excellent news to all those who have NDS(Nintendo DS) and also to all the users and lovers(me) of Opera´s browser!

I think this will not only enrich the bank deposit of Opera Software but will also divulge Opera´s browser to a potential 10million NDS users(or more... ) that can start using Opera also on the PC. I think this can be a big boost on the development of Opera!

Announcement and further details here.

I will now quote a statement from this interview of how Opera is going to work on the DS!
Opera for DS has two display modes: Fit-to-width and DS mode. In fit-to-width mode, Opera uses both screens for scrolling up or down a page with both screens completing the view. In DS mode, an overview of the Web page is displayed on the lower screen and a pink square can be moved around an area of the page. The area you have selected is shown on the upper screen. This is a unique way to deliver the Web to take advantage of the DS hardware configuration and Opera has worked closely with Nintendo to optimize this experience.
I really like the way it will work! I think NDS it better to have a browser than PSP because of the touchscreen and because it will have an Opera browser :P of course I am not disdaining the beautiful PSP screen! :D

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Giving gamers two windows to the Web: Opera for NDS
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:25 AM »
As an opera user (or should i say lover? ;) ), i find this very interesting, and a great oportunity for opera!
I just love the way they made the way they took advantage of the dual-screen layout! Here's a screenshot:

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:17 AM »
Opera is by far my favorite browser -- and I've long loved the DS system.  The two together will only make me a more avid couch potato.  The DS doesn't burn my legs, unlike this laptop.

I'm really glad it's Opera doing it -- they do some amazing miniaturization of web pages.  Most handheld browsers butcher things, but in my experience Opera makes the shrinking as elegant as is humanly possible.

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 05:20 PM »
I preordered the browser today in HongKong - can't hardly wait to get my hands on it :-) Btw. the upcomming Nintendo Wii will be shipped with a Opera from the beginning. More info http://www.opera.com/products/devices/