topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ello.co - new social network/forum (no advertising or membership data-gathering)  (Read 5148 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Not sure whether Ello.co  has been mentioned on DCF already, so I apologise in advance for any duplication.
In early October this year (2014) I requested an invite to join Ello - an interesting newfangled social network that I had read about that was starting up in Beta.
They responded to the effect that they were taking people on board in groups for the Beta, and would invite me at a later stage.
Today they sent me an invite, and so I have now registered.
I have listed below some relevant details about Ello.
However, I would first like to mention that amongst their discussions was one where I came across a very interesting link to this article: Younger Users Spend More Daily Time on Social Networks - eMarketer

I tend to take all market research with a pinch of salt, but if there is any truth in the above article, then the amount of time that people are apparently prepared to dedicate to expending their cognitive surplus (which occupies their their awareness during their waking hours) on social networks is pretty interesting.

Now, about Ello.co (from their own blurb):
  • email 2014-10-05:
    Thank you for your interest in Ello.
    We will invite you as soon as we can. Ello is currently in beta, and we are inviting new users in small groups as we roll out new features.
    In the meantime, please share our Manifesto — and help us spread the word.

• email 2014-11-24:
    Lucian Föhr (@lucian) has invited you to join Ello. Simple, beautiful & ad-free.
    Created by seven artists and designers, Ello is the social network you have been waiting for. Simple, beautiful & ad-free.
    Click the link below to create your account and get started.

• Ello | wtf | # Ello ManifestoYour social network
    Ello Manifesto
    Your social network is owned by advertisers.
    Every post you share, every friend you make, and every link you follow is tracked, recorded, and converted into data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the product that’s bought and sold.
    We believe there is a better way. We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity, and transparency. We believe that the people who make things and the people who use them should be in partnership.
    We believe a social network can be a tool for empowerment. Not a tool to deceive, coerce, and manipulate — but a place to connect, create, and celebrate life.
    You are not a product.

5mth

• Take a look at: Ello | wtf | # About Ello[What is Ello?](/wtf/post/about-ello)Updated

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My very quick input:

The design:  Horrific.
The Profile Layout: I think my eyes are bleeding.
The Features: Nothing Interesting.

My consensus:

Yet another social network I won't be joining.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also...Don't forget....Facebook started out with no ads.

"First we work out how to amass a crap load of users...THEN we work out how to get rich from them."

Somebody has got to pay the hosting bills and the coders time etc... ;)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Been on it since early on. Not bothered by lack of features, just that these are useful if lots join early on. Waiting for any social thing to become active is not really attractive anymore.

With that said https://ello.co/rgdot :D

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh look...they are already trying to sell you stuff: http://ello.threadless.com/#/

lol

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
My very quick input:
The design:  Horrific.
The Profile Layout: I think my eyes are bleeding.
The Features: Nothing Interesting.
My consensus:
Yet another social network I won't be joining.

Hahaha. Not too dissimilar to my first impressions on trying it out today...    ;)
It's a bit kludgy too, but that's OK, it's early days yet, still in Beta.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also...Don't forget....Facebook started out with no ads.

They already took care of that. 

http://dealbook.nyti...es-5-5-million/?_r=0