topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2015 Pledge: OEMer  (Read 16640 times)

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2015 Pledge: OEMer
« on: November 06, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I have been writing and improving upon a program that I wrote for the company I work for to enter OEM branding information on a computer. We build desktop computers to spec for customers and I wanted a way for us to put our company and model information/logo image on each computer that we sell.

Right now, I have information specific to our company in the program, so I am going to create a more generic version for NANY and release it very soon.

Right now, the program allows you to:

- enter OEM Information (Manufacturer, Model #, OEM Phone #, OEM Hours, OEM URL, OEM logo)  in an easy to use interface
- select a new OEM logo (BMP file) by clicking on the interface and selecting a new file
- copy any new logo used to your Logo directory for future use
- create a drop-down menu on the interface that contains all models of computer that you normally build. This list can easily be added to and deleted from.

For a future version, I hope to be able to let the user scroll through logos in the LOGO directory, via a pair of front and back buttons, to select a logo.

This is my first utility that I have programmed, and I feel that it has turned out rather well so far. It is written in AutoIT, but I hope to port it to C# some day.

Jim

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2015 Pledge: OEMer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 12:30 PM »
I have been writing and improving upon a program that I wrote for the company I work for to enter OEM branding information on a computer. We build desktop computers to spec for customers and I wanted a way for us to put our company and model information/logo image on each computer that we sell.
Jim

Where "on the computer" does it show up? On the initial desktop in the corner somewhere (until the user removes it)? In the default wallpaper-screen? I'd have to say that desktop branding like that annoys me. When I got my Dell machines at my old job, the first week when I had a few minutes, I'd go fishing and swap it to a straight color backdrop.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 01:00 PM »
^ my Dell OEM (that I installed myself) just has this:

Screenshot - 2014-11-06 , 19_57_59.pngNANY 2015 Pledge: OEMer
Tom

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Tomos, that is the exact page that the OEM info appears on (right-click My Computer, go to Properties).

No, it does not appear on the desktop, where it definitely might be annoying as all hell  :'( >:(

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Tomos, that is the exact page that the OEM info appears on (right-click My Computer, go to Properties).

No, it does not appear on the desktop, where it definitely might be annoying as all hell  :'( >:(

Sure, I'm just fine with right-click My Computer, go to Properties.
The computers from my old work came with a variant of a wallpaper like this:

Dell_OEM_Edition.jpgNANY 2015 Pledge: OEMer

I do in fact like those shades of blue ... I might have gone with something abstract in those colors, if it didn't have "DELL" all over it!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:23 PM »

No, it does not appear on the desktop, where it definitely might be annoying as all hell  :'( >:(

I don't think anybody in the world would care if an OEM installer put their own wallpaper on the computers in question...seeing as that can be changed really easily...

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:27 PM »

But just to get your creative juices flowing, take a look at Mark Russinovich's BgInfo.
http://technet.micro...ysinternals/bb897557

It's probably too rare of a tool to waste time on, but theoretically your program could auto-populate this.

bb897557.BgInfo(en-us,MSDN.10).jpg

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:31 PM »

I don't think anybody in the world would care if an OEM installer put their own wallpaper on the computers in question...seeing as that can be changed really easily...

Heh ... okay ... one person in the world?
:P

It's just that it feels just a bit blatant to me ... you know where your comp came from, do you really need the subliminal messaging of the wallpaper?! (And you'd be surprised how many people "sorta don't like it but don't want to ask for help changing it"! (As evidenced by the years the oem wallpaper stayed on some of my colleagues comps!
Either that or some awesome Dell KoolAid!
:tellme:

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:36 PM »
Actually, we put our own wallpaper on our builds, and I am creating a program to facilitate that process as well. That one will come later on, and will probably be another program that I would add to DonationCoder.

DC is one of the BEST sites out there in internet-land :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Actually, we put our own wallpaper on our builds, and I am creating a program to facilitate that process as well. That one will come later on, and will probably be another program that I would add to DonationCoder.

(B-Movie Outrage)
This means war! Don't make me commission a coding snack that changes wallpaper to a blank-color screen in three clicks just to get rid of your advertising! (/B-Movie Outrage)

(Pick OS, Pick color, though I only ever use black or deep blue.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58 PM »

we agree :Thmbsup:
(hush hush there Tao ;D)
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 03:00 PM »

(B-Movie Outrage)
This means war! Don't make me commission a coding snack that changes wallpaper to a blank-color screen in three clicks just to get rid of your advertising! (/B-Movie Outrage)

3 Clicks seems a bit excessive for such a simple task....why not just open the EXE and it would do it all for you? :P

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:10 PM »

(B-Movie Outrage)

3 Clicks seems a bit excessive for such a simple task....why not just open the EXE and it would do it all for you? :P

Yeah, I like that 'open the EXE idea'......get rid of that nasty nasty wallpaper  :D 8)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:14 PM »

(B-Movie Outrage)

Snark answer #1:
How do you open an EXE? Then you click a color which has a built in "go" effect. 1-2 and then 3!

But I was also playing on how we all are proud of our snacks (or other programs!) and like to add awesome and/or obscure features.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Yeah, I like that 'open the EXE idea'......get rid of that nasty nasty wallpaper  :D 8)

But ... But ... what if it's released on April Fools' Day and the default replacement is My Little Pony?

(Trivia - The day Slashdot jumped the shark - it was their best April Fools joke ever!)
slashdot-ponies.jpg

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Yeah, I like that 'open the EXE idea'......get rid of that nasty nasty wallpaper  :D 8)

But ... But ... what if it's released on April Fools' Day and the default replacement is My Little Pony?

(Trivia - The day Slashdot jumped the shark - it was their best April Fools joke ever!) (see attachment in previous post)

Sorry, I am not a Broney......that pink hurts my eyes  :'(

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I have a question about this whole NANY process. I dont really have anywhere to host my entry, so how would I allow people to download it?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 03:42 PM »
But I was also playing on how we all are proud of our snacks (or other programs!) and like to add awesome and/or obscure features.

didnt really mean to supress - good response :up:
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Sorry, I am not a Broney......that pink hurts my eyes  :'(

Neither am I, or most of them. And that's why it was the epic April Fools joke ever! (Later ones just made characters backwards, or whatever.)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I have a question about this whole NANY process. I dont really have anywhere to host my entry, so how would I allow people to download it?

DC has (I think a couple) of ways to host people's NANY programs. Sometimes you can create your own page if you want to go all "brand-ey", or sometimes they can stick them in more general "Here are the NANY entries this year" type of page.

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Thanks, Tao. That sounds like a good question to put in the appropriate forum.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Thanks, Tao. That sounds like a good question to put in the appropriate forum.

I have replied to the question you asked in the "Help" forum.

lugosi84

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 05:50 AM »
Thanks Stephen  :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010