topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Installation switches?  (Read 5912 times)

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Installation switches?
« on: November 02, 2014, 03:41 PM »
I just began using FARR, and think it's awesome. I intend on deploying it on the laptops I refurb, and am interested in finding any installation switches there might be to make the install as automatic as possible. After the install I copy the .ini file over via batch file.

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Installation switches?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Not only can you install FARR automatically/silently using some options described here:

But it's also the case that if the FARR installer finds the following files in the same directory as the installer, it should PRE-INSTALL them:
  • DonationCoder_findrunrobot_Key.dat
  • FindAndRunRobot.ini
  • FindAndRunUserToolbar.ini
  • ConfigDir.ini

In this way you can pre-install a license key and initial settings at the time of install (initial settings can be manually edited to only set certain options and leave others at default).

A bit of background:  This feature to pre-install a license key and initial settings was written to aid large commercial site-license installations.  If you know of a company that would like to purchase a commercial site license for a dozen or more computers, please send them to the commercial license page: https://www.donationcoder.com/commercial

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Ok, thanks. That's great. Did I miss this info in the Help file? I did try to locate it. The pre-install feature is interesting.

As for the key, I refurb and sell laptops, and wouldn't want to propagate a license without appropriate remuneration to you. I would think placing FARR on units in its probationary state would be good for your business, as well as for mine. But let me know if I'm not seeing that correctly.

BW,
Paul

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:24 PM »
I would think placing FARR on units in its probationary state would be good for your business, as well as for mine. But let me know if I'm not seeing that correctly.

Absolutely! I appreciate it.  :Thmbsup:

Ok, thanks. That's great. Did I miss this info in the Help file? I did try to locate it.

It's in my Screenshot Captor help file -- I need to add it to my others, thanks for the reminder.  :up:

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Awesome. Thanks much for the response!

Blessings,
Paul

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Actually, I may have to stop deploying FFR. While I think your terms of use are fine, I can't send out units that have popups every time the machine is turned on. It looks like a malware infestation. The AV is doing something similar, and the combination of the two is overwhelming at this point. I hadn't noticed this at first, until I used a clone of an earlier install and presumably clocked enough FFR starts to trip the popup behavior.

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I think the problem is that FRR begins its popup based on time of install rather than openings. Since my clones may be months old, they begin tripping the popups immediately. The buyer therefore has no grace period, and is confronted with the popups just as he is first evaluating the machine.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:47 PM »
I see your point.. I could fix that..
Another option would be to give you a license key you could install that didn't make noise until several months had passed.

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 01:16 PM »
I could also wait to install FRR until my shipping prep, but that's a little dicey. Sometimes (like today) I rush to make the day's mail. I also have FRR on several clone images that that would not work for, unless I both uninstall and scour the registry before a reinstall.