topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: (Hypothetical): If DC Grouped Together...What could be achieved?  (Read 16862 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: (Hypothetical): If DC Grouped Together...What could be achieved?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Just looking at it the other way:

1) reading the context of her post, there's already a measure of bad blood that she's holding back.
2) investing the time and energy into such a project to present fait accompli has its own problems.
3) investing such, and then having to do it as something separate because it's not quite what was wanted also has its own problems, and implications.

Not to say that she still can't do it.  Never said that.  It's just the reasoning behind not doing so can be easily seen with a bit of brainpower.  What she does from there is up to her, and more power to her.  But I don't deny that there are not insignificant considerations.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I can work on it locally, then package the whole thing up, database & all, and then hand it over to mouser. It would then be up to him to use it or not. And if he chooses not to, do I then host it myself? Does etiquette say that's an acceptable thing to do? Or do I end up having to accept the idea that I just did a ton of work for nothing?  :tellme:

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I can work on it locally, then package the whole thing up, database & all, and then hand it over to mouser. It would then be up to him to use it or not. And if he chooses not to, do I then host it myself? Does etiquette say that's an acceptable thing to do? Or do I end up having to accept the idea that I just did a ton of work for nothing?  :tellme:

Sites like Download.com just collect everybody else's work and make them all available in one place...and to be honest...if we had a DC version...life would be MUCH easier...I mean...It took me 15 minutes the other day to find something _I_ had released here lol

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 09:44 PM »
FWIW and kind of on that topic, WordPress with something like Advanced Custom Fields is really nice. I am currently working on something using both.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Interesting...

I never realized coding projects invariably need an 'overlord' to get them to work. Or that every project needed to start from a completely bank page if I understand you correctly. Seems almost inefficient by design.

I may have a wee bit of insight to offer here.

I "begged" myself into a Nany badge based on some highly alpha-level "components" that I was working on just before my job and therefore dev-paying income tanked.

I was dreaming of a "Super-Word-Processor" where once the "boring word crunching" left off, it had all kinds of fascinating ultra features to do nifty things never heard of before in a single program. The theory started out as this:

Word Processor. Makes documents. Yay.

But then you really wanted some other end result, and that requires more pieces most word processors don't do. But why not? With smart programmers like (say, you, but I outsourced this one), there's no reason a program couldn't do end-to-end production of the end goal.

The main reason typical word processors are what they are is because they "hit the minimax and no more".

But what I began designing as a concept was a type of "Turbo Word Processor with add-ons".
(I know, "turbo" is so '80's.)

So, the original goal was:
You take some web text, hit a bunch of options in the program, and using the CSS Zen Framework,
http://www.csszengarden.com/
You could have an instant webpage in any (authorized) design you wanted.

There was more, but the summary point is that I discovered I needed one guy to do the conversion module, one guy to translate the strange html output code of a program I was using, one guy to so something else, .... and then I hired a "project manager" because I got all these components but they didn't mesh, so his job was to select the raw WordProcessor open source framework, translate the intent of the modules, then connect them to the final evolving master project.

So yeah, there's a 3001 combined IQ here, and the 1 point is mine, but once you get out of Ludum Dare, various soft needs explode.