topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: auto wifi  (Read 6311 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
auto wifi
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Hello
Often in order to connect to a wifi network, it is required that you visit a webpage and click there a login button or enter your username and password and login etc.
This procedure you often need to repeat after some time.

As you understand, this is very problematic. I just want whenever I am in range and whenever I have wifi enabled, I want to automatically connect to the saved wifi network, without having to do extra actions.

Is this possible?

I understand that the network administrator may somehow control access to the wifi, but since I have the credentials, I want to automatically connect!

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: auto wifi
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:16 AM »
The job sounds suited for an auto form filler like LastPass.  On the other hand, if you're not connected to anything yet you may need a form filler that uses a local store. (I haven't used LastPass in awhile.  It may have that as an option.)

Here's Gizmo's list:
http://www.techsuppo...uick_Selection_Guide

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:31 AM »
oh, I forgot to mention I am talking about my android mobile phone!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Android wifi with credentials doesn't auto connect?  Thought that's always the case, I know of people having the exact opposite problem, connecting when they don't want to and having to uncheck settings/'forget' connections

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Android wifi with credentials doesn't auto connect?

The WiFi does connect, but the proxy/router asks for confirmation or credentials before you are allowed to access the outside world.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:56 PM »

The WiFi does connect, but the proxy/router asks for confirmation or credentials before you are allowed to access the outside world.

I can confirm this one - Recently tried to connect to a BTOpenZone WiFi network the other day, not even an hour after disconnecting, and it had already forgotten me and wanted my e-mail address to login again - Not really much of an issue to be honest.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 01:07 PM »
So kalos needs a form filler I guess, forgetting it has nothing to do with phone but the browser?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 01:15 PM »

I can confirm this one - Recently tried to connect to a BTOpenZone WiFi network the other day, not even an hour after disconnecting, and it had already forgotten me and wanted my e-mail address to login again - Not really much of an issue to be honest.

ofcourse it is an issue, because your phone is supposedly connected to wifi, but it is not! and it doesn't automatically switch to 3G! It is in a state with no internet access!

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 01:17 PM »
So kalos needs a form filler I guess, forgetting it has nothing to do with phone but the browser?

not sure if a simple form filler will do that, because after you connect to such wifi, the login website doesnt open automatically, you only get a prompt

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 01:28 PM »

ofcourse it is an issue, because your phone is supposedly connected to wifi, but it is not! and it doesn't automatically switch to 3G! It is in a state with no internet access!

Well, for me, I only have WiFi turned on IF I have 3G turned off, or didn't topup and have no data allowance ON 3G.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 02:17 PM »
Also, in my experience, you usually don't need to fill any form. You just need to click a "continue" or "I agree" button. It's annoying losing your credentials every hour and needing to open the browser and press the button again, especially if you don't realize you've been disconnected (e.g., using a WiFi tablet (no option for 3G/LTE)).

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Also, in my experience, you usually don't need to fill any form. You just need to click a "continue" or "I agree" button. It's annoying losing your credentials every hour and needing to open the browser and press the button again, especially if you don't realize you've been disconnected (e.g., using a WiFi tablet (no option for 3G/LTE)).

that's exactly what I am saying

also, in some wifi's you need to enter full login info (username/password) and click submit

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 08:42 PM »
You're talking about Captive Portalsw.

Hotspot Login

Automaticaly log into Captive Portals (Wifi Hotspots with a login form). The solution is configurable and not specific for one Hotspot. Currently there is only one configuration for German T-Mobile Hotspots as that is what the author has tested it on. If you make a new configuration, let him know! See the website for explanation of configuration terms.

Website (Sourceforge)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13 AM »
You're talking about Captive Portalsw.

Hotspot Login

Automaticaly log into Captive Portals (Wifi Hotspots with a login form). The solution is configurable and not specific for one Hotspot. Currently there is only one configuration for German T-Mobile Hotspots as that is what the author has tested it on. If you make a new configuration, let him know! See the website for explanation of configuration terms.

Website (Sourceforge)

:Thmbsup:
excellent find, will try it asap!