topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linking to .msc console  (Read 6172 times)

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Linking to .msc console
« on: October 17, 2014, 08:08 AM »
How do I link to Microsoft's Management console?
Simply entering "services.msc" or "Eventvwr.msc" etc does not work.
I tried to emulate pressing WIN+R, then Eventvwr.msc - but that won't do the trick, either. The SendKeys feature does not seem to support the WIN-modifier key.  :tellme:

Great tool, btw.  :Thmbsup: Just came upon this and now I am trying to replace my current launcher.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Linking to .msc console
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Let me look into the code early next week -- it may be that LBC is not launching .msc files properly.
One possible workaround for now would be to make a windows shortcut to the .msc file, and add that shortcut to LBC toolbar, so LBC tries to launch the shortcut instead of the .msc directly.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Thanks for the speedy reply. Take your time, no hurry.
I noticed it will work if I hard-code the full path into it. Seems like System32 gets redirected on my machine to SysWOW64. But to be portable for other machines it were nice if you could get it to work more flexibly.

In other respects your launchbar is superior to my current launcher. I especially like the virtual links to existing nodes, the multiple docks, the visual options for spacing the main buttons apart, having headings inside submenus .…   amazing   :Thmbsup: :)

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I can launch event viewer... just fine and I have being doing so for months. I've attached a screenshot of my set-up

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Thanks dluby,
what OS are you on? And how do you call the eventviewer?

BTW, it's not just msc files. Launching stikynot via WIN+R pops up a note nicely,  but entering a command link "stikynot" or "stikynot.exe" into Launchbar will cause an error.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:12 AM by ScreenManiac »

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:16 AM »
I use Windows XP SP3. In my previous post I attached a screenshot showing how I configured event viewer, note you do need to specify 'eventvwr.msc' and not just 'eventvwr' .

I also have it working fine for control panel such as Add\Remove programs '%SystemDirectory%\appwiz.cpl'  For some commands I have had to use crude workarounds using the cmd prompt but while it launches what I need it leaves a command window open which I have to manually close - see screenshot for the set-up.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:18 AM »
Thanks dluby,
Have not tried my portable LBC on a Win XP yet. But I guess it probably works nicely there, just as it does for you. Flexibility to cover different OS is exactly my reason for not hard-coding the path to SysWOW64, where the eventviewer and other .msc reside on Win7_x64.

I cannot get "control userpasswords2" to work, either. For a moment the black cmd box flickers across the screen but nothing else happens. However, triggering "control mouse | keyboard | printers | fonts etc" works fine. So does control appwhiz.cpl and control desk.cpl,,5 and many other control ***.cpl calls.

To sum up, I cannot use any *.msc calls but most (though not all) of the control *** calls, with or without a trailing .cpl.
Needless to say, everything - including control userpasswords2 and eventvwr.msc etc  - works fine when entering the same lines into Win+R run dialog.