topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: force Common File Dialog instead of Common Item Dialog?  (Read 6380 times)

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: force Common File Dialog instead of Common Item Dialog?
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Hello there .o/

I've been looking for a while but didn't find any way to force programs under Windows 7 to use the "Common File Dialog" (as shown here: http://msdn.microsof...60%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ) instead of the newer "Common item Dialog" ( illlustrated there: http://msdn.microsof...13%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ).

Would anyone here know of some way, or perhaps be able to create some sort of "hack"/utility which would do that?
I really hate the newer dialog that shows that whole tree filled with folders I don't usually need to access, while the older dialog and its customizable "Places bar" was just fine.

Thanks for your replies :}

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: force Common File Dialog instead of Common Item Dialog?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:58 AM »
The only way I know would be to use older versions of software written for XP.  They would not know about the new functions.

Other than that all I can see is ask the developer for a setting telling which dialog you would rather use.  But I think the demand for the extra coding would be very small.  It's risking introducing errors to nearly zero benefit.

Perhaps if the application is open source you could try to get someone to code a variation.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:51 PM »
So if I understand right, it's not possible to have an app that monitors when other programs call that huh... I'll call it "function"... from the system and somehow "redirect" their call to the other function ? :/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 03:06 PM »
So if I understand right, it's not possible to have an app that monitors when other programs call that huh... I'll call it "function"... from the system and somehow "redirect" their call to the other function ? :/

I don't see how you could do it without creating hacked system DLLs.  Such DLLs would likely be flagged as malware.  If anyone would know it's probably programmers on CodeProject

In their wisdom Microsoft created file open and save dialogs as closed code.  Meaning you cannot subclass them to get the default behavior for free and just add the new stuff you want.  That's why custom functions sold to programmers aren't found in free code libraries.  They usually cost a few hundred bucks.

No quick fix that I know of.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:13 PM »
And here I wish I had a way to do the reverse, when using older software. I really like the newer Common Item Dialog.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 04:25 AM »
No solutions here, but this and reply (in the Bvckup thread) about open/save dialogues might be of interest.
Tom

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 05:08 AM »
Thanks, I'll probably ask on CodeProject then.
Also saw there was a similar thread on the ClassicShell forums a few months ago...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 05:38 AM »
And here I wish I had a way to do the reverse, when using older software. I really like the newer Common Item Dialog.

The only one that really frosts my butt is the BrowseForFolder.  It's even worse if the programmer doesn't set the bit that adds the edit box. It would be so easy to subclass the FileOpen Dialog if they didn't seal it.   Talk about a clunky dialog.  Yuck!