topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Meta-data  (Read 6183 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Meta-data
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:40 AM »
http://www.techsuppo...rganize-and-find.htm

Use this Free Utility to Help Make Your Windows Files Easier to Organize and Find

Posted: 03 Sep 2014 03:12 AM PDT

"Do you have a lot of personal files on your PC? Want help keeping them sorted? One useful way to help organize them is to tag them in various ways with metadata. In Windows Vista and up, only a few file types normally allow their metadata to be edited. However, there is a free program called “File Meta” that allows you to add tags, comments, and other types of metadata to most files in Windows 7 and 8.x."

Here's a chance to get PO'd and frustrated for a couple of days and then experience great relief  :D (Better than Rolaids :Thmbsup:)

It works in Win8.1 but it takes a couple of days to index all your files with any new meta-data you add. They don't mention that when you sign-up  >:(  Set it up with any additional file types that you want additional tags added to the Properties Sheet and then "WAIT", yeh, wait  :o
You also have to customize your Menu bar to show any categories you want displayed, along with Name, date modified, size, etc.
and you also have to wait :huh:
It bugs the hell out of me to set something up and then have to wait two days to find out if you did it right  :(
It works  Give it time  :D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Meta-data
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Has anyone installed this little beauty  :huh:

It's working fine for me. I was concerned initially that it wouldn't index anything other than C:\ drive but it worked on D:\ as well.
There's much I don't know about it yet... there's a 100 or so details in Properties that can be added but I haven't got much of that working yet. Just wondering if anyone else has given it a go  :huh:

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20 PM »
This little utility is worth installing for it's sorting abilities alone   :huh:
When you add a "Tag" to the Properties sheet and then customize the menu bar to show "Tag" it adds Tag behind the last item on the menu bar (size, type, date, etc.) so the tag sticks out like a sore thumb. It makes it real easy to spot the tag in WinExplor but it also allows sorting by tag by clicking on "Tag" in the menu.
I've added a "Tip" tag to web pages I've saved and opened a Tips folder. By clicking on "Tag" in the menu bar, the web pages are all sorted by Tag so all my tips pages are listed in detail list. Highlight and move the whole list of files to my Tips folder. Neat and sanitary  :D
I highly recommend it and the whole procedure is not nearly as complicated as it sounds. It's not something that has to be done all at once either..... :tellme:
Install the utility...... the next time you download a tip simply add the Tip tag in the Properties sheet  :up:
Right click on the Menu Bar and add "Tag" so any tag shows up on the menu  :up:
Later to sort click on Tag in the menu and all your tips show up in a pile... ;)  I like it   :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Sounds interesting Cuffy :up:

Any chance of a couple of screenshots :)

While I'm at it ;-)
would you consider doing a mini-review? The mini-review board is here:
https://www.donation...index.php?board=42.0

When starting a review-thread you select the appropriate template:

Screenshot - 2014-09-09 , 19_27_08.png

Tom

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Tom,
I would be happy to do a mini-review but doubt that I can add much to the information and instructions provided in the original page from Vic Laurie above. He supplies a couple of links with instructions and screenshots from Codeplex that explains as well as I could on the procedure to follow to make it work.
My biggest complaint is the waiting.... :-[
I loaded the File Association Manager on a Win32 machine about an hour and a half ago. I selected .htm and .html to add a handler to. So far I found one html page where the "Tag" detail in the Properties sheet is active. and.... it's stated somewhere in the instructions provided that the "hotspot" to edit a "Tag" in a Properties sheet is near the middle of the line. If you click on the word Tag or near the left side, it won't open the editable link.
So.......... load the File Association Manager, select a couple of file extensions such as htm and html, following the instructions provided by Codeplex, and go fishing or take a long weekend  :D
That File Association Manager has to parse or index all the Property sheets on the machine so the time it takes will depend on the speed of the machine, the number of files with the extensions you selected, whether you shut down your machine at night (I did!), etc.
Select a couple of file extensions in the manager to start with. Go back tomorrow and add more if you want.... 8)
The extensions you use are the root types at the bottom of that list. Highlight the extension, then click on Add File Meta Handler and you are done. the rest remains Default ;)
The biggest bitch is waiting for the thing to parse half a million property sheets for each extension  :P
If this doesn't work using their instructions or something you don't understand I will come up with an Off again, On again, Gone again, Finnegan type checklist.
It's worth some time and effort so give it a go  :D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 05:33 PM »
It's been 3:15 mins since I istalled to Win32 and there's still nothing active with the tagger.............. the damn thing is slower than me!!!  :D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:06 PM »
It's been almost six hours since I installed this on Win7/32 and I'm finally getting some action on .htm files, the first extension I assigned a handler to, using the File Association Manager. I think I'll leave that machine on all night since there's six partitions on a two terabyte drive, although there's little on the last four partitions except O/S type ISOs.
I'll keep you updated as I discover additional info.  :D

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:00 PM »
Update:
I now have tags in all .htm files in all six partitions on that Win7/32 machine. Eight hours after installing the manager!

Surprise: This isn't a new feature. MS made in available in Vista  :up:
I never ran Vista so I hadn't seen it before.............
http://windows.micro...roperties-to-a-file#

and..... the more I play with this the more I wonder what I really want from it. The web pages were my primary concern but I also selected .cat files and .azw, Kindle book files. Will I ever have a reason to add a tag to that type of file? :huh:
Maybe it would be wise to make haste slowly and only add a file association when you are sure you will add tags. That would also shorten the time it takes to index/parse, or whatever it does that takes so long   :huh:
Time will tell, I guess and in the meantime I'm having a pretty good time and am real proud of this little tool. :P

Try it, you'll like it  8)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Sounds interesting Cuffy thumbs up

Any chance of a couple of screenshots smiley

While I'm at it ;-)
would you consider doing a mini-review? The mini-review board is here:

Tomas,
Have you had a chance to look at the screenshots, etc. provided with download link?
Anything still unclear?

I haven't looked at your template for reviews but would be happy to give it a go if you think it would help  :huh:
Looking at the situation it may be information overload.... much like writing a tutorial on "How to Open a Folder"   :D
and reviews on how to open a folder are rare   :-[

More Info:
Whatever File Association Manager does it has already done it!
I just added .zip extension to both a Win8.1/64 machine and a Win7/32 machine and the Tag detail in the Property sheets activated immediately which means you won't have to wait for hours each time you add a new extension to the list  :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:51 AM by Cuffy, Reason: More Info »