topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'  (Read 6116 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
« on: June 13, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Days after Samsung introduced a Tizen OS-based smartphone, a UK-based analyst declared the operating system a non-starter, despite its backing by a consortium of heavyweights including Intel, Samsung and LG Electronics.

"Is Tizen going anywhere? In a word, no," wrote Andrew Sheehy, chief analyst for Generator Research in an online research report.

To support his view, Sheehy said the OS is five years behind Google's Android and Apple's iOS and has the support of only a small cadre of developers compared to the millions writing applications for Android and iOS. "Watching Tizen's development is like watching a car crash in slow motion," he wrote.

In comments to Computerworld, he added, "As far as a viable alternative to Android, Tizen is dead in the water."

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Tizen was (is?) Samsung's attempt to take Google out of their smartphone equation. Unfortunately, Tizen doesn't offer anything that would make switching from Android appealing.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:11 PM »
The declaration is premature.

I've been working on the Tizen platform for about 2 or 3 years (IIRC).

There is already a huge amount of work that has gone into Tizen. Samsung even abandoned bada for it. bada itself was a good platform. The API for bada was extremely well written, and far better suited to mobile security than Android.

Samsung is leveraging a lot of different aspects that Apple simply can't. The 800 lb gorilla here is Samsung.

For anyone that has been keeping up even a tiny bit with the semi-conductor industry, IoT (the Internet of Things) is set to blast off very soon. From Freescale and Molex to Samsung and Apple, you'll see a huge explosion in the number of connected devices over the next few years. (BTW - Be afraid. Be very afraid. The kinds of things coming out are nothing short of terrifying. Techdirt will have oodles of material to report on with lots of spill-over for TorrentFreak and JudicialWatch.)

Samsung spent well over $1 million in prize money on an app contest a while back for bada. And they dropped bada. I rather doubt that Tizen will get dropped as easily considering how it's going to be deployed.

That Tizen isn't broadly deployed yet isn't an indication of its demise.

When your watch, TV, and whitegoods (fridge, dishwasher, etc.) are all running Tizen, there will be greater motivation for developers to hop on the Tizen mobile device bandwagon.

Another thing to watch is the automotive OS market. It's extremely closed right now - basically, it's darn close to invitation only, though if you have a great app & business plan, you can submit an application. But the automotive OS market isn't "dead" because some guy writing for Computerworld doesn't think it's going to survive on your phone.

Your phone is just one aspect of the coming IoT.

Things to look at are hardware lock-in gimmicks, networking lock-in (SDK/API), device-to-device integration, etc.

If anyone things 1 bad review is going to stop Godzilla from destroying Tokyo, they've got another thing coming.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 04:45 AM »
I think it's going to be tough for them. Having a (potentially) superior product, or being backed by a few big players is no guarantee you will have a chance against something that is already out there and works, or even just something cheaper or easier (think of VHS). It sounds like some carriers are backing away from Tizen as well.

If they release a phone that only supports their own appstore (which is probably a large part of what they really want), I think people will likely shy away from it. I don't know anyone who likes the special Samsung appstore on their phones, and the annoying packaged apps that you can't get rid of.

Firefox OS probably has as good a chance right now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:19 AM by Jibz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Keep your eyes on whitegoods. Those are coming out soon.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 04:43 AM »
Tizen in your car:

http://www.techrepub...car/#ftag=RSS56d97e7

Linux is nothing if not flexible. The open source operating system can be found on phones, servers and PCs throughout and beyond this world.

Now the OS is being manoeuvred to seize pole position in the car. Not only is Google planning to launch its Google Voice-controlled Android Auto in-car system – but this week saw the release of the in-vehicle infotainment system in the Automotive Grade Linux (AGL) stack.

AGL is built on top of Tizen In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) software, a version of the Tizen Linux-based phone OS modified to interact with in-vehicle electronics.

More at the link.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 12:15 PM »
Having a (potentially) superior product, or being backed by a few big players is no guarantee you will have a chance against something that is already out there and works, or even just something cheaper or easier (think of VHS).

This.

Never underestimate the gravity well generated by "good enough."

I forgot who said it (George Ade maybe?), but it still rings true in most manufacturing: "Half a loaf is better than one if there is much else."
 8)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Something to watch:

http://www.un4seen.c...forum/?topic=15684.0

If that happens, Tizen will be mainstream.