topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SwiftKey goes free (but you have to pay for themes)  (Read 9201 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SwiftKey goes free (but you have to pay for themes)
« on: June 11, 2014, 09:38 PM »
SwiftKey is a well-known replacement keyboard for Android devices that was priced at $3.99 but the devs decided make it free. However to fund the app's development, they have added SwiftKey Store, with new themes available for purchase.

http://swiftkey.com/...ee-new-themes-emoji/
https://play.google....m.touchtype.swiftkey

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SwiftKey goes free (but you have to pay for themes)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:50 AM »
I've been using SwiftKey with my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet for close to a year.  It's an amazing keyboard that lets me type in English or Spanish without having to move from the main keyboard; indeed, it also offers suggestions to me in both languages, and they're amazingly on target (especially those in English, since it's had more opportunity to learn my vocabulary in English).  I was surprised a day or so ago to learn that it's now free.  I think the company sees more revenue coming from charging for new themes, etc., than from having more people buy the app.  I hope they're right, since I want to see the program continue to thrive.  But I've gotta say that I've been underwhelmed by the themes.  I mean, I certainly see some I like, but I doubt I'd pay for them.  I'd rather pay for the app and for customizations I care about, but I suspect I'm not like most of the SwiftKey users, except in my enthusiasm for the keyboard.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:38 AM »
I second Swiftkey as the best keyboard on Android.

More on SwiftKey at DO:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=36698.0
Regards, Brahman

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:50 AM »
I've been a little annoyed at swiftkey lately.  sometimes, there's no way to swype a particular word, so you end up trying about 3 times and then give up and type it.  I don't know of a good way around this.

i like the swyping style and swiftkey overall, just need a couple of things to be really powerful.

[edit]
I just went back to trying swype, and i think swype is the better product.  you have more predictions to choose from.  the accuracy seems to be better also.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:56 AM by superboyac »

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:03 PM »
@superboyac

Really!? - my experience is the total opposite of yours and I own both Swiftkey and Swype. I found SwiftKey *much* more accurate and this compensates for the limited suggestions. SwiftKey has made KISS an art.

The trick about swyping is: Only swype relatively well known words, if you swype rarely used words or names typing is much faster.
Regards, Brahman

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 12:56 PM »
@superboyac

Really!? - my experience is the total opposite of yours and I own both Swiftkey and Swype. I found SwiftKey *much* more accurate and this compensates for the limited suggestions. SwiftKey has made KISS an art.

The trick about swyping is: Only swype relatively well known words, if you swype rarely used words or names typing is much faster.
yea, i was surprised to.  By the way, i only decided this today!  it sounds like swiftkey is much more accurate for only common words.  for less common words, it's not.  now, apparently, i don't like trying to figure out whether a word is common or not so i type vs. swype.  that's too much thinking per sentence for me.  that's why i'm leaning towards swype where i can do the same thing for each word.

swype isn't perfect either.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I might just add that I don't swype, I just put in the words as I would with a computer keyboard.  One great thing about SwiftKey, however, is that often it guesses what I want to say so well that I can write whole sentences without having to type any letters at all, I just keep accepting its suggestions. 

When I first started using SwiftKey, I had to switch to its second or third keyboard to access symbols such as ~ < and >, but now even these have been added to the main keyboard.  Just about everything I need is on that main keyboard.  I love it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:53 PM »
ok...
i don't actually like the press-and-hold feel of swype.  damn.  no perfect keyboard.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 08:59 PM »
damn.  no perfect keyboard.

Yeah I know, I bought a lot of them and always came back to SwiftKey in the end. :)

Also you need to remember that at first any self learning keyboard that you have been working with for a while will always have an advantage in accuracy, because it already had a chance to learn your writing style.
Regards, Brahman