topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LINUX: It's official - Mint 17 "Qiana" released to distribution  (Read 34298 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: LINUX: It's official - Mint 17 "Quina" released to distribution
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I just tried it without LVM and it still crashes VirtualBox when I shutdown the VM. Weird.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 06:49 PM »
@Deo- Have you tried looking/posting on the Mint forum yet? IIRC there's some discussion about hangs and crashes going on.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:54 PM by 40hz »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LINUX: It's official - Mint 17 "Quiana" released to distribution
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 08:51 PM »
FWIW, I've used VirtualBox a fair bit with Windows 7 64-bit quite stably for some time -- virtual machines being *NIX, Windows, etc.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:17 AM by ewemoa »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 08:53 PM »
I guess I just don't use non-server versions of Windows that much any more. On those increasingly rare occasions when I do need a Windows desktop, it's usually a VM running under Linux. :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 09:18 PM »
He he -- you have nicer toys to place with ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:17 AM by ewemoa »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 04:37 AM »
I'm using the guest additions that were installed with LM here (as far as I know they've been included for a while in Ubuntu and LM?), works fine for mouse integration and shared folders and such.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 02:40 PM »
I just tried Mint17 Mate x64 Live.  I just set the params quickly.  2 GB ram, 16x9 video, hw accel etc.  But it seemed like something was sticky or strange.  Every time I closed the window with the Computer icon, there was another underneath.  Finally I clicked Close All Windows to be done with it.  Maybe I'll try again after a couple of intervening versions.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Looks like the XFCE version is out:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2656
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:16 AM by ewemoa »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 01:02 AM »
...and the KDE version:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2653
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:16 AM by ewemoa »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 03:10 AM »
v2 releases of Mate and Cinnamon are avaliable:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2662

Apparently they contain the following fixes:

MDM crash with non-xrandr compatible GPUs

Dangerously ambiguous label could lead people to mistakenly wipe their hard drive

Driver Manager didn’t handle missing firmwares correctly

Corrupted APT sources when / partition wasn’t formatted

Better out of the box experience for Steam, Wine, Skype, LibreOffice-base

All level 1 updates were added

See the post for more details.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:15 AM by ewemoa »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Is there any way to upgrade an older installation to the latest version? I have a working Mint 15 install. Instead of starting it all over from scratch, it would be nice if I could tell it to upgrade itself. I went into the Update Manager and updated everything, but it still says it is running Mint 15.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Is there any way to upgrade an older installation to the latest version? I have a working Mint 15 install. Instead of starting it all over from scratch, it would be nice if I could tell it to upgrade itself. I went into the Update Manager and updated everything, but it still says it is running Mint 15.

You can...but it's not recommended. Especially if you have a bunch of PPAs added to your repositories. Many of those are version specific so you'd need to remove and install the correct ones for the version of Ubu underneath Mint.

And even though Ubuntu has a do-release-upgrade command, you'll need to manually update your software sources list first for it to work.

I've done upgrades that way (in the past) and I learned they made for far more work than they saved. About the only time I've found Debian's apt-get dist-upgrade or Ubuntu's do-release-upgrade really useful was for upgrading servers. Desktops just have too much "other stuff" loaded for either upgrade command to work reliably.

Recommendation: Don't. Just do a clean install. You'll save more time in the long run.

8) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:32 PM by 40hz, Reason: Disregard my screw up »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LINUX: It's official - Mint 17 "Qiana" released to distribution
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 06:46 PM »
A totally clean install? Or something fancy like have a system partition and a data partition and only wipe the system partition and install the OS there, keeping my user/data partition from before?

And while I've got you on the line, how about fixing the name of Mint 17 to "Qiana" in the OP's title? :D

Sorry, it was bothering me. :-[

But not as much as when the guy in that review video you linked pronounced it like "quinoa" (keen-wah).

https://www.youtube....v=sW_BOkrcjEY#t=1080
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:10 PM by Deozaan »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 10:28 PM »
A totally clean install? Or something fancy like have a system partition and a data partition and only wipe the system partition and install the OS there, keeping my user/data partition from before?

I'd make a copy of /home just in case, but the current partition scheme should otherwise be fine.

And while I've got you on the line, how about fixing the name of Mint 17 to "Qiana" in the OP's title? :D

Sorry, it was bothering me. :-[

Well...we can't have that now can we?

Ok. It's done. (Not my fault they can't spell.)

And not that it will make much difference because it only fixes it in the OP.

Note: the Mint release names are supposed (according to the Mint folks) to be the names of women picked from the works of William Shakespeare.

Just for the record: of the 1,224 character names found in Shakespeare, "Qiana" is not one of them.

pwned.png

Have you written Clement Lefebvre about that yet?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 01:38 AM »

I'd make a copy of /home just in case, but the current partition scheme should otherwise be fine.

Thanks. I'll see what happens. (c:

Ok. It's done. (Not my fault they can't spell.)

And not that it will make much difference because it only fixes it in the OP.

Now all further replies to this thread will have the correct spelling.  8)

tosim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Been using Mint-MATE since version12. Made a clean install when 13 came out and was running that until 17 came ou. I have quite a few computers and dual-boot all of them with Linux17-MATE, and Win 7. I only get into Win 7 a few times a year, as I've decided that for over 95% of my computing, Mint is great.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 12:35 PM »

You can...but it's not recommended. Especially if you have a bunch of PPAs added to your repositories. Many of those are version specific so you'd need to remove and install the correct ones for the version of Ubu underneath Mint.

And even though Ubuntu has a do-release-upgrade command, you'll need to manually update your software sources list first for it to work.

I've done upgrades that way (in the past) and I learned they made for far more work than they saved. About the only time I've found Debian's apt-get dist-upgrade or Ubuntu's do-release-upgrade really useful was for upgrading servers. Desktops just have too much "other stuff" loaded for either upgrade command to work reliably.

Recommendation: Don't. Just do a clean install. You'll save more time in the long run.

Does anyone know if this has changed now that Mint has changed its upgrade path? That is, if I install some version of Mint 17, should I then be able to update to Mint 17.x without having to do a clean install?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 02:08 PM »

Does anyone know if this has changed now that Mint has changed its upgrade path? That is, if I install some version of Mint 17, should I then be able to update to Mint 17.x without having to do a clean install?

Yes. You can.

I made an error in my original reply (since corrected) because I got sloppy about the difference between a release upgrade and a version or 'dist' upgrade. (It's a common error for which I apologise.  :-[)

Within the same major version, apt-get dist-upgrade is fine and probably a good idea to run since dist-upgrade will also attempt to intelligently upgrade any dependencies along with the installed packages plus resolve any dependency conflicts that may result. The regular update only updates the installed packages themselves. It will not update, add, or remove anything else - including any new dependencies or unneeded packages. Additionally, any update that would change the status of another installed package won't get downloaded or installed using just apt-get update.

To clarify - a "dist upgrade" is not the same thing as a "release upgrade." "dist-upgrade" works within the same release since it uses the same repositories as a regular update.

:Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:30 PM by 40hz »