topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR No Longer Activates  (Read 4339 times)

hmorris94

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR No Longer Activates
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Recently (within the last 24 hours) Find And Run Robot will not activate via Ctrl+Space. Niether left- nor right-clicking on the taskbar item does anything, either. There is nothing in "Documents\Donation Coder\FindAndRunRobot\FarrTroubleshooting.log" except the "Starting Find and Run Robot" entries. I just tried un/installing and rebooting to no avail.

Any ideas on what to do next? Is there different way to bring it up?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR No Longer Activates
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Is there an icon for FARR in the tray?  If you right-click on that, do you get a menu?  If you double click it, does it show on screen then? do you hear the sound FARR makes when it shows it's window?

hmorris94

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:48 PM »
There is an icon for FARR in the tray, neither right-clicking nor double-clicking it does anything, and there is no sound when interacting with the tray icon or pressing Ctrl-Space.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 05:36 AM »
There is an icon for FARR in the tray, neither right-clicking nor double-clicking it does anything, and there is no sound when interacting with the tray icon or pressing Ctrl-Space.

ok so it sounds like FARR is hung -- that it's not an issue of it not triggering but an issue of it being somehow not working at all.

since it worked previously, it must be that some setting or more likely some file in your launch list is causing this.  i'd love to know what it is.

so here's what to do:

First, before anything else, let's kill the current FARR process and then restart the program, and make sure that doesn't solve it.  so ctrl+alt+delete, locate FindAndRunRobot.ext and terminate it.  When it no longer appears in list, restart FARR.  If FARR still won't respond after that, go to next step below:

Ok so if FARR is hanging every time you run it, lets reset all settings:

1. Find the directory where FARR saves it's settings.  On Win XP this will be in the program files directory where FARR is installed.  On later versions of windows this will be in your MyDocuments\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot directory.

2. Backup all those files someplace -- so we can examine them later and in case you have settings you need restored.

3. Then move or delete the .ini files in that directory so they are no longer there.

4. Then restart FARR, see if it still hangs.

5. Now if it still hangs, might it be that you installed a FARR PLUGIN that is causing the hang?  if so, go to the Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins and delete the plugin you installed.  You can delete all the folders there if you know you installed some plugins but can't remember which and don't need any.

Let us know if this fixes it!

hmorris94

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:28 AM »
since it worked previously, it must be that some setting or more likely some file in your launch list is causing this.
I disabled all startup items in msconfig and that didn't help. However disabling all services did (which I then narrowed to just Microsoft services), so it appears to be a Windows problem. I'm currently upgrading to Windows 8 and will report back!

hmorris94

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Well I don't know what the problem was but starting over with Windows was the solution. After do so, I was able to use all of my backed up FARR files and it is as it ever was.

Thank you for your help!