topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LINUX - Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) ISOs are now available for download  (Read 11055 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mint recently announced the release of the 17.1 update (Rebecca) to their latest LTS edition. It offers some interesting and worthwhile updates to Qiana. Both the Cinnamon and MATE versions are now available.

Those wishing to upgrade from version 17.0 will not need to do a full reinstall:

Upgrade instructions:

• If you want to upgrade from Linux Mint 17.1 RC, simply launch the Update Manager and install any Level 1 update available.

•  If you want to upgrade from Linux Mint 17, please wait for a few days while we release a new version of the Update Manager to you. In the meantime, you do not need to download or to reinstall anything. We’ll make announcements next week when this is ready.

FWIW they're running a little late with the Update Manager...erm...update? Target release is now the first week of December. Worth the wait if you want 17.1 since it saves a lot of work over a doing a clean reinstall.

I'm writing this in a live session of the Cinnamon version right now. It seems noticeably faster than 17.0 even though it's running off a USB key. Can't wait to see what it's like running off the hard drive.

8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:07 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: LINUX - Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) ISOs are now available for download
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Still eagerly awaiting the release of 17.1 XFCE. (c:

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:06 PM »
What's a good backup utility (except the built in one, don't ask...) to make it pain free to move up from Mint 13?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Is it true that you can just backup your user directory/partition and then copy those files back after an upgrade. I've heard rumors to that effect about Linux distros, but never tried that, since I'm pretty much always using it in a VM and it's easy enough for me to simply wipe and reinstall.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 01:31 PM »
What's a good backup utility (except the built in one, don't ask...) to make it pain free to move up from Mint 13?

Take a look at this. See the section C1. "Fresh" upgrades
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:37 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Is it true that you can just backup your user directory/partition and then copy those files back after an upgrade. I've heard rumors to that effect about Linux distros, but never tried that, since I'm pretty much always using it in a VM and it's easy enough for me to simply wipe and reinstall.

If by "user directory" you mean the home directory, the answer is pretty much yes. If you mean the usr directory, the answer is no.

Screenshot from 2014-12-02 14:33:24.pngLINUX - Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) ISOs are now available for download

See the link in the above post for the preferred way to do an upgrade.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Thanks 40hz.

I have several scripts (WordPress for testing, etc) running in var/www and need to be sure not to lose stuff otherwise Home (my files) directory is enough for me, the local software I can always reinstall without needing to back up really.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:35 PM »
I didn't locate info regarding restoring one's software selection when it contains things from repositories that one might have added.

Any hints on this?

For reference, it looks like at least one file gets created containing at least package names (if I had to guess I'd guess it's the result of something like dpkg --get-selections).  I don't see any information about additional repositories...

One of the comments at the 'instructions' was:

But I have to say, the main advantage of the "Package upgrade" is missing: you don't have to redo all the customization and re-install all the software that is not available in the repositories.

In particular, with a fresh install you loose all the settings in /etc and all the software in either /opt or /usr/local.

Hmm...IIUC under /etc/ somewhere is where which repositories are used is stored...I guess that can be done manually...and before restoring software selections.

Ah, here's something:

If you were using PPA or other repositories and if some of your previously installed packages are not found by the present system, these packages will appear in the list but you won't be able to select them. If that is the case, update your APT sources using the Menu -> Administration -> Software Sources tool to add the missing repositories, then click on the "Refresh" button in the Backup Tool.

Note: The "Refresh" button refreshes the list, not your APT cache. If you update your /etc/apt/sources.list manually, make sure to run "apt update" in the terminal.

I guess I better make note of extra repositories :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:54 PM by ewemoa »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Cool. Linux Mint has a backup utility you can use to backup files or applications. i didn't know about that. Thanks 40hz (for your info and the link which is where I found out about the backup utility)!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 01:12 PM »
I didn't locate info regarding restoring one's software selection when it contains things from repositories that one might have added.

Any hints on this?

For reference, it looks like at least one file gets created containing at least package names (if I had to guess I'd guess it's the result of something like dpkg --get-selections).  I don't see any information about additional repositories...

One of the comments at the 'instructions' was:

But I have to say, the main advantage of the "Package upgrade" is missing: you don't have to redo all the customization and re-install all the software that is not available in the repositories.

In particular, with a fresh install you loose all the settings in /etc and all the software in either /opt or /usr/local.

Hmm...IIUC under /etc/ somewhere is where which repositories are used is stored...I guess that can be done manually...and before restoring software selections.

Ah, here's something:

If you were using PPA or other repositories and if some of your previously installed packages are not found by the present system, these packages will appear in the list but you won't be able to select them. If that is the case, update your APT sources using the Menu -> Administration -> Software Sources tool to add the missing repositories, then click on the "Refresh" button in the Backup Tool.

Note: The "Refresh" button refreshes the list, not your APT cache. If you update your /etc/apt/sources.list manually, make sure to run "apt update" in the terminal.

I guess I better make note of extra repositories :)

You could just install Aptik. It should be in the Mint repos.  I haven't tried using it in conjunction with an upgrade yet. But at the very least it would allow you to get a solid backup and pretty easily go back to your previous installation.

aptikss.png

:Thmbsup:

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 05:52 PM »
That looks promising.

Thanks for mentioning it again :)

Got it installed -- needed to add another apt repository to get at it.  Hope to test it soon.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:13 PM by ewemoa »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 02:25 AM »
Just came across Systemback via this article.  Anyone given this a try with Linux Mint?

Systemback makes it easy to create backups of system and users configuration files. In case of problems you can easily restore the previous state of the system. There are extra features like system copying, system installation and Live system creation.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Just came across Systemback via this article.  Anyone given this a try with Linux Mint?

Systemback makes it easy to create backups of system and users configuration files. In case of problems you can easily restore the previous state of the system. There are extra features like system copying, system installation and Live system creation.

It installs. Pretty easily via a PPA if you'd rather:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nemh/systemback
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install systemback

I've played with it a bit. Seems to do what it says. I have yet to try any real emergency recovery tasks with it however.

One part that seriously interests me is the feature to create a live image from your system. The Unixmen blog mentioned it a few months ago:

Live System Create:

This is one of cool and notable feature of Systemback. Unlike other system backup and restore tools, Systemback will let you to create a live CD/DVD of your current system with or without the users data files. Later, you can use this Live CD/DVD on other system, also you can install it if you want.

Starting with a minimal NIX installation, this might be an extremely quick and easy way to roll a custom live distro for yourself. Especially now that "Mr. Clem" has seen fit to kill off the official remastering utility Mint used to provide. There's been some bug reports filed about it for Systemback. But it seems to work well for most people who've tried it.

Unixmen had a write-up (with pretty pictures!) if anybody is interested in learning more about it. You can find it here.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:20 AM by 40hz »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 03:15 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and link.  Haven't tried it yet -- interested in seeing how practical it would be to create a live system prepared for something like Android development but am waiting for motivation to build before attempting :)