topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ScreenshotCaptor ConfigDir.ini and Windows 8 - preferences not saved  (Read 5397 times)

SanderG

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have installed Screenshot Captor 4.8 from the regular setup exe on Windows 8.1 into the default location (Program Files (x86)\ScreenshotCaptor). After starting the program, I am presented with errors about not being able to move old screenshots. When quitting the program, it shortly shows an error balloon about not being able to save its settings to an UNC path, which is the network drive where the My Documents folder is located (\\server\share\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor).

Then I read lots of forum posts here and, as a result, created a file ConfigDir.ini into the program folder with "CONFIGDIR=%APPDATA%" (also with spaces surrounding the = character). This did not help. I noticed this file was also put in All Users' appdata, so copied it there as well. No difference. Also tried to put it in the folder created in c:\programdata - no difference either.

The result is, that when starting the program it gives errors; preferences are not saved; when quitting the program, it gives an error.

@mouser Did you test this on Windows 8.1, or 8 (or 7, or any other modern Windows OS)? Am I missing something? I'd appreciate an option presented during install on where to save the config files (Christian Ghisler does this with Total Commander), or save them in %APPDATA% by default.

Hope you (we?) can fix this issue.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: ScreenshotCaptor ConfigDir.ini and Windows 8 - preferences not saved
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Hi Sander.

I have tested SC on windows 8 and it works fine.

From your description the problem seems to be that it's trying and failing to save to the documents folder.
Your solution attempts appear to be exactly what you should be doing so i suspect it's just something minor there.

Let me see if i can help a bit:

It is the ConfigDir.ini file in the Screenshot Captor program files directory that you want to edit.
Is it possible you werent removing the // at the start of the line in that file?  That // makes it a comment so you need to remove that.

On Windows 8 it should by default be trying to use the APPDATA directory, so that must be set to the network drive?

Can you try setting the value in ConfigDir.in to point to a NON-NETWORK drive, some directory that SC is allowed to write to?

I'd appreciate an option presented during install on where to save the config files <-- not a bad idea; another option should be that on startup if it fails to write its configuration files it should advise what to do.  I'll put that on my todo list.

SanderG

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Only My Documents and My Pictures are on the network drive (also mapped to a drive letter but SC is using the UNC path).
The user's profile is in c:\Users (default, not changed).
The file ConfigDir.ini was not present in the program's directory, I created it from scratch so it contains just one line.

I observed similar behaviour on a Win7 pc where SC was installed into a network location, and complaining about not being able to save preferences on exit even though it should be able to write there - and not trying by default to use the %APPDATA% directory either.
Note that in both cases it is running from non-admin accounts, that might be a difference with your situation?

SanderG

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:36 AM »
I fixed this issue on my Win7 machine at work which runs 4.7.2 by editing ConfigDir.ini. I'll have to look into why ConfigDir.ini was not written at all on the Win8.1 box at home with SC 4.8.

MarkToo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have installed Screenshot Captor at two locations. Both locations use Redirected Folders to point My Documents, etc. to a server location. That said I experienced this same issue at both locations:

I have installed Screenshot Captor 4.8 from the regular setup exe on Windows 8.1 into the default location (Program Files (x86)\ScreenshotCaptor). After starting the program, I am presented with errors about not being able to move old screenshots. When quitting the program, it shortly shows an error balloon about not being able to save its settings to an UNC path, which is the network drive where the My Documents folder is located (\\server\share\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor).

The solution that worked for me was manually adding the folders that make up this path: \\<server name>\RedirectedFolders\<user name>\My Documents\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\OLDER...

Thus I needed to add these three folders (see attachment):
1. DonationCoder
2. ScreenshotCaptor
3. OLDER

Hope this helps someone else!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The solution that worked for me was manually adding the folders that make up this path...

Actually that is VERY interesting information!

It may suggest that the problem that SC may be having on some of these networked directories is not with the core functionality of reading and writing to those network share directories, but only with some bug in CREATING FOLDERS in those directories?

I would love to hear more about this possibility and any evidence to support it.

MarkToo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, if I can be of any more assistance I'm happy to help... just need a little guidance on what would be helpful for you to know. (btw... I was wondering if this might be some type of permissions issue.)