topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Code Sector software 50% off through January 7, 2014  (Read 10608 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Code Sector software 50% off through January 7, 2014
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Code Sector has a 50% discount on all  of their Windows software (TeraCopy, Direct Folders, etc.) through January 7, 2014.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Code Sector software 50% off through January 7, 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:03 AM »
thanks for the heads-up. been eyeing Direct Folders for some time.. :up:

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:25 AM »
been eyeing Direct Folders for some time.

Same here. I love DF and have been using the free version for years. However, I also note that DF has not been updated since December 2012, despite some reports of problems with Win7 & 8, 64-bit systems.

P.S. I did actually buy a PRO licence. I just hope that the developer will be encouraged by the continuing interest in DF and carries on developing it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:25 AM by dr_andus »

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Code Sector has some really great software, but is somewhat inconsistent in terms of support and development.

They also make a superb GPS app for Android called Maverick, which I could never use because of a flickering display problem on many devices (including mine).  They seem to have fixed it finally, so I purchased the Pro version, which is listed on the site 50% off page for $4.95, but is available on the Play Store for 50% off at $3.45.  As I said, inconsistent.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I bought a deeply discounted license of TeraCopy years ago (I think it was only $6 or $7...a real steal) and xtabber calling their development 'inconsistent' is a very kind way of putting it.

He'll go so long without any kind of communication at all giving you the impression the software is all but dead and buried and....poof! There'll be a new update for download. One might think this software development thing was a second job for him...but I'm thinking it's probably more accurately a third or fourth. :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:51 PM »
been eyeing Direct Folders for some time
Rather than Listary?

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Rather than Listary?

I have both but I end up using Direct Folders a lot more often for some reason.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 07:45 PM »
He'll go so long without any kind of communication at all giving you the impression the software is all but dead and buried and....poof! There'll be a new update for download. One might think this software development thing was a second job for him...but I'm thinking it's probably more accurately a third or fourth. :)

I think that Code Sector has changed hands - I can't remember the name of the developer I dealt with a while back when working through some issues, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Oleg Smirnov, the current developer.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Rather than Listary?

like dr_andus, I have both but I prefer using Direct Folders as for some reasons Listary's FAYT feature causes problems on my pc. If there is an option to turn it off, then I may give it a try again.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Listary's FAYT feature causes problems on my pc. If there is an option to turn it off, then I may give it a try again.
I e-mailed Channing Dai, the author.  Here's his reply:
This is not a usual request, however it can be done in Listary Options - By
Window Type: Select the application, and then uncheck "Find as you type".

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Rather than Listary?

I have both but I end up using Direct Folders a lot more often for some reason.
I actually use both.  I use Listary for most everything, but I also enable the Direct Folders floating top bar.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Listary's FAYT feature causes problems on my pc. If there is an option to turn it off, then I may give it a try again.
I e-mailed Channing Dai, the author.  Here's his reply:
This is not a usual request, however it can be done in Listary Options - By
Window Type: Select the application, and then uncheck "Find as you type".

thanks rjbull for the effort! it is not the global disable button i was looking for but it is better than nothing. now i can run both apps side-by-side as they complement each other.

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 02:31 PM »
"This is not a usual request, however it can be done in Listary Options - By
Window Type: Select the application, and then uncheck "Find as you type"."

Channing even replied to some real dumb questions of mine (in fact, the forum is for users asking and for Channing to reply, in reality, no real "community" there) so I have to be thankful for that, but he will not answer questions addressing real problems with the sw - perhaps it's a question of pride or such, and he addresses those problems secretely, then - at least I hope so.

In my case, it was not possible to have his program NOT to interfere with anything I did, and do, so I had to deinstall it in order to regain control over my system. I should have tried the free version first, instead of buying. In fact, this programs intervenes in many more applications than it says it does, and this means that just deselecting programs from the Listary list will NOT do any good for programs that ain't even listed there to begin with.

It's been a quite terrible experience, all the more so since you cannot stop it from displaying lots of unwanted entries from "anywhere" even in programs where you'd just want it to display "hits" from the "immediate vicinity" (e.g. the current folder), and thus it creates "chaos lists", instead of just presenting just the hits you're looking for, and things are neither arranged by this awful, very intrusive red color nor by the fact that additional window overlays exactly the relevant file commander pane, hiding the entries there, instead of appearing elsewhere (e.g. on the opposite pane of a two-pane file manager).

Overall, it's totally functional, but those functions are intruding when you don't need them, and the visuals might be considered "very cute" by a 10-year-old girl.

I spiced up my file commanders with ahk scriptlets instead, and for "global search" I (rarely) use "Search Everything" (which is free and just appears whenever I really need it, not in 10 hours of my 12-14 hours work day).

Channing, if you read this, it's okay you're really proud of your tool, but make it a little bit more discrete, both by its function and by its visuals, nobody wants a green (or in this case, red) alien popping up and sitting on his desk almost all the time when trying to do serious work.
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 03:20 PM »
this programs intervenes in many more applications than it says it does, and this means that just deselecting programs from the Listary list will NOT do any good for programs that ain't even listed there to begin with.
Hmmm.  I don't think I've had any problems like that.

want it to display "hits" from the "immediate vicinity" (e.g. the current folder), and thus it creates "chaos lists", instead of just presenting just the hits you're looking for
I think that was one of the points about Listary 4 series, that it uses or can use an Everything-type search engine to find files matching your search string anywhere on your PC.  I'd like the per-application option to restrict searches to the local area, but, as it is now, it does put local hits at the top.

this awful, very intrusive red color
I'd certainly like the option to change the colour  :)  And also the font size; it's a bit big.  In some ways I preferred the look-and-feel of Listary 3 series.

I spiced up my file commanders with ahk scriptlets instead
If your FM is Total Commander, there's a plug-in that uses Locate32.  However, Locate has rather taken a back seat since the advent of Everything.  Also, if you just want a favourites list, you might take a look at (free) FileBox eXtender.

Looks like this is in danger of hijacking the thread...