topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Mind mapping software  (Read 24425 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mind mapping software
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 05:24 PM »
I had actually looked at a tool that used a more tree-like structure and I am debating if that is going to be useful for my processes. I had looked at myBase before but wasn't really drawn to it. While I do rely on a tree style architecture for things like email, I found the process cumbersome to add things in/out of this database.

I am really interested in thoughts on how people use this software so I can look at new ways to think about it. I have had a lot of random thoughts that I need to somehow relate so I can see where the major focus areas are in an attempt to focus my research efforts on my thesis (and later, hopefully, my dissertation). I will check out MyInfo none-the-less as perhaps I may be able to go back to that style of tracking.

Thanks!

Dear Josh,
The following is just a detailed note from a paid Pro user with no agenda/conflict of interest.

But One of the things I thought MyInfo could be perfect at is research!

In a nutshell, you start developing topics like this:

WhyJoshRules
   He is so smart, and he's asking for my help! OhMyGawd!
   He's smarter than I am, so he's researching some cool topic!

Topic1-Whatever you are researching
   Control-N to add a new subnode.
   Yay new subnode!
   Yay new subnode!
   Yay new subnode!
   Yay new subnode!
Oh Look this Subnode got important so control-shift-left arrow to make it Important and move it up later!
   Yay new subnode!

Footnotes
       Some ref goes here
       Some ref goes here
       Some ref goes here
       Some ref goes here
       Some ref goes here
       Some ref goes here
       Some ref goes here
       Some ref goes here

And then you roll them all up when you work on the real project. Roll them back down to do x to them.

It's the "only winner" of a medium survey I did about five years ago now. I don't know what MyBase is, and I want to stay away of exactly why it may or may not fit you. For now just suppose the tree idea fits, then try the free version of MyInfo. (I bought the Pro version mostly for a Publishing Export feature.)

Then fair enough, a couple of other people decided it was not quite for them, but then that at least gets to specifics, and if there's just one niggling thing, you might hafve a chance at the dev adding it. (A bit rare, but it happens.)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 05:36 PM »
201305241827_pile_of_index_cards.jpgMind mapping software

This reminds me of mouser from the Zettelkasten method site.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Josh,

I used InfoSelect from its inception as a DOS program (under a different name), but I dumped it when an upgrade - paid! - trashed the database.  Then the search began for a replacement </ sigh>.  Tried any number of tree systems - even The Brain mind mapping system- but none of them were effective.  Then tried maybe a dozen or two (2) note programs. 

MyInfo came closest to what I wanted - superior to InfoSelect in some aspects.  It's easy to define new topics, establish tags if needful, and search on the subtopics/tags as needful.  When a particular topic becomes too large, it's simple to move appropriate subtopics to a new topic, all info included.  I was using this mostly for development - code snippets, code samples, references.  However I also use it for recording software registrations, non-vital financial information, calendars, and the like.  Even have a name/address/phone topic for businesses and personnel.  It is extremely versatile, and if I remember my university days correctly, 'twould have been a lifesaver then (although pre-PC) for all manner of record keeping.

You might want to take a look at its capabilities.  I like it so much that I quit the free version and bought a lifetime renewal  :P.

Hm-m-m ... would that be the lifetime of the software, the developer, or me  :-\?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Hm-m-m ... would that be the lifetime of the software, the developer, or me  :-\?

My guess is yes to all three...whichever ends first. ;)

YannickDa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • StackNotes homepage
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08 AM »
There's a new shareware program in the field, it's dirt-cheap, you can use it for free, it looks great and there's a webapp version here

It's "Inforapid KnowledgeBase Buider"
http://www.buildyourmap.com/

:Thmbsup: I'm really happy with this one !

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mind mapping software - KnowledgeBase Builder
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 12:18 PM »
^^ Hmm. Interesting, but review comments at the Microsoft Store would seem to indicate that KnowledgeBase Builder is/was an incomplete paid trial version only(?).

If this thing really worked as advertised, then methinks it should have swept the world by now.
Has anyone on DC Forum trialled this thing and done a review? I can't find it.

YannickDa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • StackNotes homepage
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Well, i have it installed on both my computer and smartphone and it works fine, as expected.
I've paid 1,99$ on a sale for it.
I guess the negative reviews are for the "Enterprise" version that's 99$. From what i unsterstand,
the "Enterprise" version allows you to do collaborative maps/charts with others and to share your
maps online for up to 400 days. Maps are removed past this delay.
I personnaly don't store anything on the "InfoRapid" website and don't need the "collaborative"
features, so i opted for a "personnal" version and everything is stored locally. If i need to get the
maps on the other device, i just save these to "onedrive" and i'm good to go...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 02:37 PM »
^ Same here.  Got it for $0.99 on sale, and it works as advertised.  So far, I like it.  Easy to create, relate, annotate (with text and images), and categorize data points.  Also has the ability to export, and a selling point to me, is that one of the export options is a plain text HTML document, optionally with images.  I can work with this.

If i need to get the
maps on the other device, i just save these to "onedrive" and i'm good to go...

I'm of the same opinion.  I'm even trialing it now in a folder in dropbox, and it seems to work fine.