topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2014 Release - Spews  (Read 52964 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2014 Release - Spews
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Another review landed in my RSS reader today: Spews Review by Softpedia!

from that review:

On the downside, there is no way to shuffle the playlist and all files seem to be displayed in the exact order they are stored in the directories. As such, the element of surprise is completely eliminated if the list is not rich enough

that's not the case here -
i.e. it's random images here (mind you I'm just using one folder, and ignoring subfolders - where they are using many locations)
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 12:19 PM »
it's random images here

Right, it should be a random selection.

Nice review.  Thanks for the heads up.   :up:

guerillablood

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Hi, guerillablood, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :)

I'll certainly consider your requests, thank you.  Unfortunately, due to some work commitments, I don't think I'll be able to get to them for at least a few weeks.  In the meantime, you might consider checking out John's Background Switcher, which is probably the most full-featured wall switcher out there.

Thanks! And I've used JBS before, it was over a year ago though and I think I stopped using it due to it being more than I wanted or I simply didn't want it running in the background- I honestly don't remember. Regardless of that, my comment was more in an effort to help improve Spews rather than just get a certain function out of it for myself- even if I could possibly get elsewhere. Time's no issue, just wanting to throw my two cents in. Also thank you for an awesome little program!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.5 - 2014-07-12
    + Added configurable hotkey to copy wallpaper path.
    + Added some data to the tray icon tooltip.

v1.0.4 - 2014-07-10
    + Added configurable hotkey to advance to the next wallpaper.
    + Added configurable hotkey to enable/disable the wallpaper switching.
      The tray icon also changes now depending on whether switching has been
      enabled or not.
    * Changed up how to enter excluded processes.

New screenshot:
main.pngNANY 2014 Release - Spews

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Website | Download
v1.0.6 - 2015-01-24
    + Added a "previous wallpaper" function and corresponding customisable
      hotkey.  (Thanks, McShort)

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 02:39 AM »
Nice addition.
So it seems that now it keeps a history of wallpapers. Is that history's length limited, and if so, how (a certain amount of memory, a maximum number of images paths and names, some other method)?

Edit : looks like you also enhanced the dialog to set a keyboard shortcut, nice :]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:48 AM by ConstanceJill »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 09:41 AM »
So it seems that now it keeps a history of wallpapers. Is that history's length limited, and if so, how (a certain amount of memory, a maximum number of images paths and names, some other method)?

I suppose a bit of explanation is in order:

1) When you click the "Start wallpaper switching" button, Spews creates a list of images based on what you can configured and checked in the "Image folders" section.  The list then has any dupes removed and is randomised.  This method removes any chance that a wallpaper will be seen twice during a list's run.
3) Spews then uses this list, starting at the top and moving in order but remember the list is randomised every time you start the switching so the order is not the filepath image order.
4) Selecting the previous wallpaper goes back one image, at a time, in the list.  However, selecting next wallpaper ALWAYS goes to the next random wallpaper in the list.

For example, let's assume you have your list of wallpapers that Spews has randomised and is now switching through.  Image #3 is displayed on your desktop.  Selecting previous wallpaper would display iamge #2.  Selecting previous wallpaper again would display image #1.  Selecting next wallpaper (or having the next image display on your configured time interval) would display image #4.  At this point, selecting previous wallpaper would display #3, #2, and so on.  Maybe slightly illogical, yes, but I would have had to create a second "next wallpaper" function which seems a bit inelegant to me.

So, to answer your question, Spews doesn't use any more memory for this functionality (because it's using the same list).  Clear as mud, eh?   :D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:44 AM by skwire, Reason: Spelling error »

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 02:24 AM »
OK, it's pretty clear and a good solution, I guess :}

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 04:21 PM »
:bump:

I've been wondering, is there a way to completely "unset" a hotkey from the GUI (so, not by manually editing or removing the config.ini file) ?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Good point.  I'd have to add a "Clear" button or something similar.

dvally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 02:18 PM »
I really like SPEWS, thanks for making this great application!  :)

I use it to display my 8K collected wallpapers (disk space is cheap), but I occasionally have a problem with the software where it will start switching the wallpaper so fast that I barely have a chance to see them. I normally have it set to change once an hour, but when this happens I have to right click on the taskbar icon and show SPEWS to stop the switching. When I do, I see that it has gotten set to 0 hours.

The first time this happened I thought it was a fluke, but it happens randomly every week or so. Just wondering if anyone else might have mentioned this...

DVally

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2015, 02:26 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, dvally.  :D  I'm on holiday this week so I'll try to remember to take a look at this when I get back.

dvally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Hope you are enjoying your holiday! :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2018, 11:16 PM »
There have been quite a few Spews releases since the last one mentioned in this thread.

Website & Download

v1.1.0 - 2018-05-05
    + Added new "Fill (by width)" wallpaper position.  (Thanks, Martin E.)
    + Added a transparency slider to adjust the transparency of the Spews window.

v1.0.9 - 2018-04-05
    + Added "Day(s)" option to the available interval options.  (Thanks, ConstanceJill)
    * Changed interval range to allow values from 1-9999.  (Thanks, ConstanceJill)

v1.0.8 - 2017-01-15
    + Added "Scan folders" button to the main form.
    ! Tray icons were broken in the last version.

v1.0.7 - 2017-01-10
    + Added prev/next wallpaper buttons to the main form.
    + Added "Clear" buttons to the hotkey section.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Hi there .o/

Trying out this new "Fill (by width)" option got me thinking that it would be nice to, either :
- automatically refresh the current wallpaper when the user changes that (wallpaper position) setting
or
- add a manual refresh button/hotkey (without having to go to the next wallpaper, then back to previous)

Also, perhaps adding (an option to) automatically refresh the current wallpaper when the desktop's resolution changes, provided of course that none of the excluded processes is running.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 02:15 AM »
automatically refresh the current wallpaper when the user changes that (wallpaper position) setting
-ConstanceJill (May 07, 2018, 03:02 PM)

Added in the latest (v1.1.1) release.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2018, 03:20 AM »
Thank you! :]

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2018, 09:19 PM »
v1.1.2 released today.  Download from here: http://www.dcmembers...wire/download/spews/

v1.1.2 - 2018-07-06
    + Added Start and Stop entries to tray menu.
    + Added "Copy image to clipboard" entry to the tray menu.
    + Added "Copy image path to clipboard" and "Copy image to clipboard" entries to the File menu of the main window.
    ! Fixed a file order bug where wallpapers would start with the second in the list instead of the first.  (Thanks, Martin E.)

v1.1.1 - 2018-05-08
    + Changing the Wallpaper Position and Fill Color options refreshes the current wallpaper.  (Thanks, ConstanceJill)
    + Added option to not randomize the image list.  (Thanks, Martin E.)
    * "Fill (by width)" has been renamed to "Fill" and should now work properly with very wide images.  (Thanks, Martin E.)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 03:24 PM »
v1.1.3 released today.  Download from here: http://www.dcmembers...wire/download/spews/

v1.1.3 - 2019-01-22
    + Added option to remember the image list position between sessions.  (Thanks, Martin E.)

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Hey there .o/

I just added a second monitor to my work PC and noticed something which I'd call a minor aesthetic issue.

My main monitor  has a resolution of 1920x1200 while the second one is 1600x1200.

The issue is, it seems that (and looking at "<Spews' folder here>\~images\wallpaper.bmp" pretty much confirms it), the wallpaper is generated only according to the definition of the main monitor.
Thus when it is applied to the secondary monitor, it isn't scaled or centred properly.

Would it be possible to make it so that Spews generates a bigger picture to be displayed on both monitors at once, kind of like Wallpaper Welder does ? :)

DeVamp

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Let the coding begin :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2019, 02:38 AM »
Thanks again for that nice application.
Yeah, I'm late to discover it. :)

One quick suggestion: allow to configure a application to run after a wallpaper has been set, with the possibility to add the path to the applied wallpaper.

And then of course I'm thinking of Lucidity (https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=27172.0)

Or even better, you could include lucidity in the program and simple add an option to enable that effect. :)

Grug_342

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 01:23 PM »
nice program, a few suggestions for possible improvement:

1)   Left-click on tray icon should change the current wallpaper to the next in the list - several other wallpaper apps have this function.

The current way to do this is have the GUI on display, which gets in the way of seeing the wallpaper, or continual right-click +
      select on the tray icon menu, which is a bit of a time waster

2)   where you list "path" to the folder in the upper left there should be a way to click that folder and then below it each file is listed
      and then when we click on a file we see in another part of the GUI a small thumbnail of the file, maybe 1x1 inch or 2x2 inch,
      enough to recognize the file, and maybe right-click delete it also, or copy, etc - the usual file right click options

3)   GUI ideally should be re-sizeable

i'm not a programmer so i dont know how difficult each of these would be to implement, would be interested in hearing your reply.
BTW i'll donate $25 paypal in advance to your Skwire website if you can make items #1 and #2 happen

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2024, 05:42 AM »
Hello there, it has been a while :D

Lately I've been doing some work from home using my personal monitors as they're both higher definition than anything my workplace can provide, and so when working, I still keep my home computer running so that I can do unrelated stuff on the side when it's a quiet day, switching my main monitor to get its display input from the work laptop, and the second (a bit lower resolution) monitor to take its input from my "home" laptop.

When I do so, since the monitors have different resolutions, I can't see the entire wallpaper. And thus here is my request : would it be possible to have Spews automatically refresh the current wallpaper when the desktop's resolution changes (provided of course that none of the excluded processes is running)?

And while I'm at it, if several monitors with different resolutions are connected and in extended desktop mode, could it also handle that by scaling the same picture appropriately to both? :)