topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Borderlands and/or Borderlands 2 smallish mod  (Read 4891 times)

ichimitch

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Borderlands and/or Borderlands 2 smallish mod
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Hi guys,

This is my first post.  I love the concept of this site :)

If some of you guys are old enough to remember the golden era of video games then like me you may be grumbling that games these days are made to be too easy.  I get why they do it.. They want the game to be more accessible, and therefore sell more copies. It's a good business model but unfortunately can often make for hypo-ludic gameplay :(

My girlfriend and I played Borderlands together.  I thought it had potential to be a really great game but one thing absolutely spoiled the experience for me: Death incurs far too little penalty..  This bugged me to the point that when Borderlands 2 was released and my girlfriend asked me if I wanted to play it with her, the first thing I asked was "Have they changed the penalty for dying? Or is it still just a monetary percentage?" When she said "You still just lose money", I said "Sounds shit."

I am hoping someone here may have the know-how and the interest to create a small mod for Borderlands and/or Borderlands 2 to increase the penalty for dying by losing a percentage of acquired experience points, thereby making the game more challenging. I currently earn very little, but will donate what I can to the cause.

What say you, good people?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:39 PM by ichimitch, Reason: fixed typos »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Borderlands and/or Borderlands 2 smallish mod
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 05:55 PM »
You could also implement your own "honor system" rules. For example, you could say you're going to play a "hardcore" mode where if you die, you will delete your character.

Or if you die, you will drop all your money and all of your items in your inventory.

Etc. There are lots of ways you can make the game more challenging on yourself without needing to actually mod the code.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:24 AM by Deozaan, Reason: corrected typo »

ichimitch

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 06:03 PM »
You could also implement your own "honor system" rules. For example, you could say you're going to play a "hardcore" more where if you die, you will delete your character.

Or if you die, you will drop all your money and all of your items in your inventory.

Etc. There are lots of ways you can make the game more challenging on yourself without needing to actually mod the code.

XP is what I really want to see penalized.. to be more like the games of old. There is no way to reduce xp by way of honor system. If this idea were realized as a mod, servers could host games of this type. Other random players from the other side of the world could join in the fight experiencing the same rules; a feature that an honor system can not afford or enforce.

I understand that this isn't an essential project, but it's still one I'm hoping someone is interested in giving a go. Please don't post to dissuade me just because this isn't something that personally interests you.. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:09 PM by ichimitch »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 07:29 PM »
I don't think that he was posting to dissuade you- he was posting to give you ideas.  That's how the site works.  A lot of requests have been solved by the alternative routes, so don't take offense when someone attempts to help you perhaps not in the way that you were thinking.

ichimitch

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 07:36 PM »
I don't think that he was posting to dissuade you- he was posting to give you ideas.  That's how the site works.  A lot of requests have been solved by the alternative routes, so don't take offense when someone attempts to help you perhaps not in the way that you were thinking.

Okay, yes you're right. My bad. Attitude adjusted accordingly. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:01 PM by ichimitch »