topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ad Muncher End of 2013 sale  (Read 6060 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ad Muncher End of 2013 sale
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:54 AM »
HALF-PRICE AD MUNCHER LICENSES!
We've been getting a lot of requests asking if we would ever repeat last year's big sale.

The answer is yes!  We're now offering 50% off all licenses until the end of the year!

Click here to purchase with the discount, and please share this with your friends.

To purchase for someone else, just enter your own details, then you'll be emailed a link to change the license details after purchase.

To renew an existing license, enter your license code at the purchasing link above.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ad Muncher End of 2013 sale
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:09 PM »
It was my impression that Ad Muncher died and not has been updated for 1½ year, but I cannot be sure. Have they secretly been too busy maintaining, to keep any kind of history up to date? Or is the Ad Muncher concept so "timeless", that they don't need updating?

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Ad Muncher has not been updated in almost a year and a half (July 2012). Murray, their lead developer, has not been active on the forums since September 2012 (Last post, with only a single visit between March and November 2013). Any emails that come out from him keep pushing his new "leap touch" initiative. Jeff (list maintainer) keeps advising that they have no idea when 5.x will be ready and that it will be done "when it is done". Additionally, IE11 and Windows 8.1 support will not be ready until at least 5.0, according to their forums. So...yeah, make of that what you will.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:19 PM by Josh »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Ad Muncher has not been updated in almost a year and a half (July 2012). Murray, their lead developer, has not been active on the forums since March. Any emails that come out from him keep pushing his new "leap touch" initiative. Jeff (list maintainer) keeps advising that they have no idea when 5.x will be ready and that it will be done "when it is done". Additionally, IE11 and Windows 8.1 support will not be ready until at least 5.0, according to their forums. So...yeah, make of that what you will.
Probably experiencing unmet expectations financially.  THis started a while back when he began getting all tricky with his subscription pricings, being very unclear about what is "free" and what is not, what he means by "lifetime" and what others interpret it as.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:16 PM »
All I know is that while there haven't been program updates in a while, the database updates seem to keep coming.  And the couple of times I've sent a problem report about a site not displaying well because of Ad Muncher, the next database update fixed the issue.

The big things that I've heard mentioned as problems are HTTP gzip support, HTTPS filtering and IE11 support. These aren't problems for me, but anyone considering a purchase should be aware of those things in case they might be important to them. The software works very well for me, regardless of the state of the support for those things (when I surf on a machine without it installed, it's painful).

Ad Muncher isn't cheap - in my opinion, the 50% off deal is what makes the price bearable, particularly if you're going for multiple licenses. I also opted for the Basic option, which helps with the price, but only gets weekly list updates instead of daily list updates. I think that's the only notable difference between Basic and Premium.  There may be other software that works as well or better or cheaper (or some combination), but I haven't been driven to look for an alternative so I don't know if that's the case or not.

Finally, I don't think there's any problem with clarity of the lifetime license.  The purchase page says (emphasis added):

How long would you like to receive new program and list updates?

With a popup link explaining the "Unlimited updates" option:

Feature Details: Unlimited Updates

Unlimited updates means you get program and list updates indefinitely. No further purchase will ever be required, and you will be saved the trouble of renewing your license each year.

Ad Muncher has been continually updated since 1999 and isn't going away any time soon, so this is a worthwhile investment to ensure you continue to receive the best browsing experience possible.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 03:30 PM »
I've more than gotten my money's worth out of Ad Muncher, but I was one of the lucky bastages who bought it when $25 got you a lifetime license. If I were looking to purchase today with today's pricing structure and blatant lack of updates from the author, I doubt I'd be quick to pull the trigger on the purchase.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Adfender is a freeware alternative to both Ad Muncher and Ad Block (Plus).  It's reviewed here.  Both of the latter work for me but what's especially nice about Ad Muncher is that it's global and tech support questions were usually answered promptly. 
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Thanks for mentioning AdFender. I hadn't heard of it before.  I'm a lifetime AdMuncher license owner, but what with its program author (Murray) missing in action for over a year and no new version of the program for a year and a half I'm a little afraid for its future even if the signature author (Jeff) keeps saying the contrary.

AdFender doesn't seem to be as global as AdMuncher, but it seems to be moving in that direction what with IM and P2P programs being supported and since AdFender graciously tells you what port it is using, I'm sure you could slam 127.0.0.1:7070 into any program that provides a way to configure its proxy to reap ad-free benefits.

I've decided to disable AdMuncher for a while and give AdFender a go...time will tell how well that goes. Looks like it uses the same lists/signatures that AdBlock and its derivatives use, for better or worse.