topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: screenshotcaptor and delay option  (Read 4282 times)

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
screenshotcaptor and delay option
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:19 AM »
I thought the 'delay' option would be good to capture an app's window and show the menu dropdown.  But after pressing ctrl-prtscrn, SSC begins 4 sec countdown, I go and drop down the app's menu, SSC wakes up and captures app window but menu isn't included.  Is there an option I missed?

Another thing that seems backward to me:  if I use 'delay' and capture-region, it waits 4 sec and then I specify region.  I would have thought I would specify region, then the 4 sec countdown would start

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: screenshotcaptor and delay option
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:24 AM »
First things first, are you using the latest version?

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 03:15 PM »
oops - v4.8
Windows 7 x64

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:25 PM »
if I use 'delay' and capture-region, it waits 4 sec and then I specify region.  I would have thought I would specify region, then the 4 sec countdown would start

this would be a logical thing to think.. but if you try it with your menu example, what you will see is that you have 4 seconds in which you can bring up the menu and then wait, and then the screen will *FREEZE* -- with the menu still visible, and you can then select the region to capture INCLUDING the menu.

RichTWebGuy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:04 PM »
OK, I see that.  2 questions and thanks for your quick replies

1.  there is still the first point -- that the grab active window doesn't include the menu.  Is that expected?

2. Regards the grab selected region, I see 2 behaviors depending on whether how I trigger the capture.  If using hotkey or quick-capture-bar, the app loses focus somehow and then the menu of course goes away.  If I use the main window menu to trigger, it works OK.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:33 AM »
1.  there is still the first point -- that the grab active window doesn't include the menu.  Is that expected?

Because of the way grab active window works on windows vista and above, its impossible to grab menus that are showing.
That's because of the way SC has to flash the background behind the active window in order to grab it's transparency.

If you don't care about transparency at the corners of your windows, you can change this (which will also speed up active window capture), by disabling this option in the Window Capturing Options 1 tab.

You may also have to change the hotkey used for grabbing active window to a hotkey other than Alt+PrtScr, since the alt key there tends to close menuds.

2. Regards the grab selected region, I see 2 behaviors depending on whether how I trigger the capture.  If using hotkey or quick-capture-bar, the app loses focus somehow and then the menu of course goes away.  If I use the main window menu to trigger, it works OK.

hmm, are you sure this happens with hotkey use?  my hotkey use for selected-region capture seems to preserve focus and doesn't close menu.