topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GameMaker Studio Standard Free Upgrade  (Read 6614 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
GameMaker Studio Standard Free Upgrade
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:30 PM »
There's a free upgrade from GameMaker Studio to Standard Edition. Details below:

At first, I thought of Game Maker as a tool for unskilled beginners to make psuedo, they-don’t-count games. Then Spelunky came along and took away my snobbery, showing me that the entry-level tool could be used to create fantastic games. Then Gunpoint came along, and replaced my snobbery outright with a permeating sense of bitterness and regret; the kind which penetrates deep to your core and gradually erodes all your personal relationships.

Consider me a cautionary tale, and make use of this offer: Game Maker Studio‘s Standard edition, which normally costs $50, is free at the moment.

from rockpapershotgun.com
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:36 PM by mouser, Reason: added explicit url »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GameMaker Studio Standard Free Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:24 AM »
As in the article, it doesn't apply to the steam version, only standalone (which can autoupdate as well).
Btw, I'd appreciate good resources on this :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:11 AM »
From the guy that made one of the first success stories, Spelunky:

http://forums.tigsou...dex.php?topic=3251.0

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:11 AM »
As in the article, it doesn't apply to the steam version, only standalone (which can autoupdate as well).
Btw, I'd appreciate good resources on this :)

The weird thing is that the Steam version does allow you to register for the free upgrade key, but it won't take it (for me).

The cool thing is if you download the standalone, non-Steam version and get the free upgrade key, you can then buy the NEXT upgrade for $50 which does include a Steam key.

Or in other words, you can get Game Maker Studio Professional for $50 on Steam this way.

Source:
https://twitter.com/...s/404909052615856128 (be sure to read the entire conversation and not just the main/big tweet)