topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Everdesk (with Google Add-on) - Mini-Review  (Read 15814 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Everdesk (with Google Add-on) - Mini-Review
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Originally posted:2013-11-19
Last updated2016-04-06

Basic Info
App NameEverdesk - 02 Logo (small).png    EverDesk with Google Add-on
DescriptionEverDesk Standard is a client-based email tool that can handle any/most of the webmail services except Gmail, but the version with the Google Add-on supports full integration with Google Gmail and with related Google services e.g., including Google Drive. (This can be far more useful than one might at first realise.)
Their website at https://www.everdesk.com/features points out the unique characteristics of EverDesk, where it says: (my emphasis)
  • EverDesk is the first and only email client on the market which stores email messages together with your other files and documents, so you can keep all the information related to the same subject together in regular Windows folders and work with it in a simpler, more flexible, and more powerful way.
Thumbs-Up Rating :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup::Thmbsup:After extended trial and retrial.   :)
App URLhttps://www.everdesk.com/
App Version ReviewedEverdesk v5.8.7 (Google Edition)
Test System SpecsMS Win7-64 HP, Win10-64 PRO
Supported OSesPC Windows (various)
Support MethodsSupport on Everdesk website: https://www.everdesk.com/support
Upgrade PolicyFree incremental upgrades within a main version number.
Trial Version Available?Yes - fully-functional (uncrippled) copy with 30-day licence life.
Pricing SchemeEverdesk with Google Add-on - US$44.95

Intro and Overview:
For me, the biggest nuisance about web-based email is that email and its attachments are stored in a peculiar proprietary manner in the cloud, whereas I usually want it all on my local client device too (a laptop), where I can access it easily and back it up. Where this is possible at all (rarely), it is difficult/time consuming to organise with most client software. I want my email integrated with and accessible via my PIM (Personal Information Manager) system - which latter comprises a set of tools on my laptop.

Taking advantage of a GAOTD 100% discount offer for EverDesk Standard, I had tried out EverDesk following a post about it on the DC Forum by @Curt:: EverDesk stores emails in your normal folders with other docs
However, I discovered:
..doesn't work with Gmail
According to EverDesk's own notes that I read, this is true.

So I realised that I would need EverDesk with Google Add-on, not the EverDesk Standard, so I downloaded EverDesk with Google Add-on and had an extended trial. I then changed laptops and reinstalled a trial version on the newer laptop, and I am currently trialling it again and this time am wanting to buy it, because it is rather good - if not excellent - at what it does.
Here is a link to a comparison of the features between EverDesk 5.6 Standard and EverDesk 5.6 with Google Add-on  - https://www.everdesk.com/features

Example screenshot: of the Main GUI window:
(Arrows to some noteworthy points.)

Everdesk - 03 Main GUI screen.png

Who this software is designed for:
Anyone who wants:
  • To be able to operate their Gmail account(s) from a desktop email client.
  • To have copies of all Gmail emails stored on the local client in non-proprietary format, and all attached documents stored on the local client in original format, all of which is to be accessible from the client via Windows Explorer (or similar), and able to be opened by the relevant desktop applications.
  • To have full integration between the desktop email client and Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Google Contacts.

The Good:
  • Very nice and user-friendly GUI.
  • Amazingly useful functionality - needs to be experienced firsthand to be appreciated.
  • The application is stable (no crashes) and gives an incredibly useful integration between a desktop email client and the Google services mentioned. It lets me quite easily do what I have often wanted to do with my Gmail, but could not do before, or that I could only do with considerable difficulty/mucking about.
  • Exercise prudent caution re bandwidth: For any email account you set it to operate, EverDesk can automatically download your email and any attached files from the webmail server. If one has a cap on bandwidth utilisation - as I do - then one needs to be conscious of this. For example, where I am on a mailing list for a newsletter of interest, and which periodically emails newsletters with unsolicited/unwanted and sometimes quite large video files attached, I take the precautionary step of deleting those emails and/or their video file attachments online before starting up EverDesk.

Needs Improvement:
  • No notes on this as at this stage. I have not seen any drawbacks in the software.
  • I have had one error recently where a polite message popped up giving a full report of a non-critical error ("index out of range") that it would "send home". It then gave me the option to continue or restart. I restarted.

Why I think you should use this product:
If you are interested in taking control of your Gmail as a client-based tool (application and data) and moving a step ahead in management of your own Google account data (including integration between the desktop email client and Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Google Contacts), then this email client/PIM could well be of interest to you.

How it compares to similar products:
I have no experience/knowledge of alternative/similar products, because there isn't one (as I have established), however, in the DCF thread linked to above, mention is made of DreamMail, but this gives the notice:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Spoiler
END OF SUPPORT

Hello,
I have been supporting DreamMail for almost 8 years, but as you may know, I am not the developer. I created DreamMail Europe Community website, because I thought DreamMail was one of the best email clients. So I used to spend some time translating into French and creating this website and forum.

But now, it's been more than a year I have no reply from Zeng Xiquan, and I cannot continue supporting this software without him. So I decided to end this adventure, and move forward.
So, I will *NOT* reply to future emails, and this page will disappear soon.

Also, a vulnerability has been found, and a Proof of Concept is available here : http://www.exploit-d....com/exploits/27805/ (thanks to loneferret)
I receive spams with trying to use this exploit now, so you MUST change your email software.

There are many email software available (Thunderbird, Opera Mail, ...), so you can check one of these to get support.

This community website is now over, so do not blame me, but I cannot continue this.

BUT, I will let the forum available, so you can continue to ask question and help others.
You can access it here : http://forum.dreammail.eu/

Thank you and see you on new projects.

Clément

One of the OutlinerSoftware discussions in the references below refers to SquadMail, which is more of a nifty group collaboration tool using Gmail and DropBox (as a paid service).

Conclusions:
  • I have been pleasantly surprised and impressed with what this email client does. It definitely seems to live up to its description.
  • I have yet to discover the limits of its potential. It is arguably more of a PIM than just a simple email tool, though it seems to be an excellent email tool in its own right.
  • It is No-fuss, simple and quick to download and install, with the only tricky thing being the installation of the Google IMAP settings and security - one has to disable Gmail 2-step verification and enable "less secure application access". It is relatively straightforward if one follows the clear installation instructions - which I did not do, at first.    :-[
  • Good news!: I really wanted to have a licence for this EverDesk-Gmail version and had decided to await a BDJ or GAOTD discounted offer or similar - due to the cost. Then I wondered whether I could get a discount from EverDesk directly, so I emailed their support desk, asked them if they could give me a discount, pointed them to this review and expressed my real interest in their product over the years. I have just received an email from them. They have had me on their database since my 2012 EverDesk-Standard licence, and they gave me a licence for the EverDesk-Gmail version FREE because I had effectively been promoting their software by extolling its features and benefits. I am very grateful for this.    :Thmbsup:

References/links:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:27 PM by IainB, Reason: 2016-04-06: update and with Good News re my licence. »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Everdesk (with Google Add-on) - Mini-Review
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 04:28 AM »
UPDATE: 2016-04-04 - After an extended period of on-and-off trialling of EverDesk, I have updated the Opening Post and have moved this from "under trial" to "I want to buy it now".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:51 AM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:31 PM »
UPDATE: 2016-04-06 - Good news!: I really wanted to have a licence for this EverDesk-Gmail version and had decided to await a BDJ or GAOTD discounted offer or similar - due to the cost. Then I wondered whether I could get a discount from EverDesk directly, so I emailed their support desk, asked them if they could give me a discount, pointed them to this review and expressed my real interest in their product over the years. I have just received an email from them. They have had me on their database since my 2012 EverDesk-Standard licence, and they gave me a licence for the EverDesk-Gmail version FREE because I had effectively been promoting their software by extolling its features and benefits. I am very grateful for this.    :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
EverDesk (Standard Version) is on special offer at BitsDuJour at http://www.bitsdujou...are/everdesk-desktop
Our price: $14.95
List price: $44.95
You save: 67%

Sadlement, the version with the Gmail Add-on is not included in this special offer.    :o

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 12:42 PM »
Sounds very interesting -- but I see only one price on their website.
Which is confusing...

Posters at bdj talk are also confused about this, being sent to a second page to purchase the gmail plugin.

EDIT// after skimming all the comments
  • offer is over
  • gmail plugin is $15 extra

@Everdesk app sounds very interesting, but not having all prices clearly visible on your website does not make for a good feeling :-(
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 02:48 PM »
@tomos: Sorry, I think I must have posted that a bit too late to be of use. It seemed to be still on offer when I made the post, and I couldn't see when it was due to finish. (Was in a bit of a hurry.)

As per the thread above, the Standard version isn't of much interest to me, but the Gmail version is very good.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 03:20 PM »
@tomos: Sorry, I think I must have posted that a bit too late to be of use. It seemed to be still on offer when I made the post, and I couldn't see when it was due to finish. (Was in a bit of a hurry.)

not at all, I *thought* it was still active when I looked first, but not sure now.

Like the sound of something that can cope well with gmail labels etc.
For email,
I would *love* something like gmail's inbox web UI where you can drag a mail to a different tab (e.g. 'Forums') and it will ask: do you want all emails from xyz to be labelled/tagged as 'Forum'. Filters on the fly, even if only for a limited number of options (as per currently in gmail).
Tom