topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: User directory incorrectly set  (Read 11200 times)

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
User directory incorrectly set
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:38 AM »
WINXP(SP3)32 bit LBC 1.137.01
Even though the CONFIGDIR parameter is set to %MYDOCUMENTS%, LBC is still loading the project files for the previously active/loaded user account.
If I manually open the file for the "current" user account then when I switch users the same project opens and remains open until I manually open the pertinent file. The newly opened file then becomes the default wherever I operate from.
Attached image shows the ConfigDir file and the LBC Configuration pane.
The system is successfully utilising the local language name for My Documents because the project folders are loaded and saved to the appropriate directory when running. It's just not doing it automatically at run time.
Should I be replacing the absolute user account details for a system variable in the LBC configuration pane?
It is conceivable that I could utilise one LBC project across both the accounts but I'm unsure (Scared) whether there would be significant conflicts between default data directories for any programs activated via LBC.
If you're thinking of trying something make sure you do it at least twice - then you're almost an expert
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:55 AM by Happy Expat »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: User directory incorrectly set
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:40 PM »
Your configdir.ini file looks fine.

This can be a little bit confusing, so let me make sure we are on the same page.

Unlike my other programs, for LBC, when you specify the configdir.ini override, you are telling it where to save its basic options file, and a .mcp (project) file which tells LBC which .mcfg launchbar files were last open.

So to test if its working you should log in to each user account, run LBC, and then load whatever mcf launchbar files are appropriate for that user.  Then exit LBC.  Then do the same for the other user account(s).

What you should see is that the different users LBC will remember that they had different files opened.

Put another way, LBC will not stop userA and userB from having the same launchbar files open -- that's up to you.

But what it should remember, when you make the change in the configdir.ini file as you have, is that different users had different files loaded.

Can you check that and then let me know if it's not working?

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:32 AM »
User A is definitely opening User B's Menu and vice versa when User B's files are loaded and user accounts are switched. I'm just switching active user [WIN+L] as opposed to "logging off", could this make a difference?
Each user has an LBC folder in their document folder with discrete files stored therein. Did I misunderstand when I first set it up? Should I have left all the user files in the LBC Program folder so that all can be accessed but only those for the "calling" account load on program start?
If I can't get it to function with individual users but one program folder can I install the software directly into each user's documents environment so that they may act as discrete environments?
If you're thinking of trying something make sure you do it at least twice - then you're almost an expert

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46 AM »
Each user has an LBC folder in their document folder with discrete files stored therein.

That sounds like the right way to do it.

Let me try to reproduce the problem here, I don't know why it's not working for you.

Let me ask, where is LBC saving its settings.ini and .mcp file now that you have changed your configdir.ini file?
Is it saving in the user documents directory, or is it still saving in the program files directory?

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I'm attaching some image files showing all the directories (sorted reverse chronological) so ypou can easily see what was updated when in relative terms. Also attached are the contents of the config file for both accounts.
it looks like the .mpc files are going into the LBC account with the others going to the respective user accounts
LBC is not active so the config files are as saved on last usage for each account.
Interestingly, I'm working in the admin account but IrfanView saved the images to the desktop for my personal account so I had to "reach over" to get them. If I recall correctly, IrfanView has always done this, even on my earlier Vista machine (Screwed Graphics built into the motherboard so no saving). Would you like me to take a quick peep at any IV config files to compare?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51 AM »
Ok i can see that both of the config files are saying to load the .mcp from the program files directory.

If you exit LBC, and delete the "LaunchBarCommander.ini" file from each users directory, and then restart LBC, can you see if it works then?

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:05 AM »
Still the Same. Here are the "snaps"

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Ok let me try to reproduce.

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 07:13 AM »
I made a quick text edit in the Colin account to force an amendment to be saved.
As can be seen, TFC shows "My First Launch Bar" where Colin shows TFC
TFC was accessed first but no changes made so the config file is/was a virgin.

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:16 AM »
I have made another observation which may (or not) assist in the debugging of the feature.
When a node points to a system folder eg. %MyDocuments% then it would be expected for that node to open the system folder for the currently active LBC Dock.
As part of my testing I have both the Colin  and TFC docks active side by side (in either account - makes no difference) but whichever Dock's virtual "MyDocuments" node is accessed, it always produces the %MyDocuments% folder for the current active user account as opposed to the desired target for the "targeted" user's LBC Dock.
I was actually trying to ascertain whether I could simply have both docks active in the system quickstart tray and then select whichever one I wanted to use according to which account I was logged into.
It makes no difference whether both docks are active side by side or if one of them is minimised.
Don't know if this info helps but somebody once said "information is power". It may save you the effort of testing that aspect for yourself.
Almost forgot 1.138.03 now being utilised.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:21 AM by Happy Expat, Reason: Added LBC v no. »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 05:32 AM »
Can you try this new beta and let me know if it solves the problem:
https://www.donation...arCommanderSetup.exe
https://www.donation...ommanderPortable.zip

Important:

Make sure you DELETE the LaunchBarCommander.ini and LaunchBarCommander.mcp files in each user's data directory FIRST.

If this still fails to let each user set and remember a different .mcf launchbar file, please show me the .ini files again for each user, as you did earlier.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 05:38 AM »
The key clue is in the 2 side by side screenshots you showed of the LauncBarCommander.ini files for each user.

Those screenshots show that LBC is incorrectly using the .mcp project files from its PROGRAM FILES directory, instead of the respective .mcp project file in each user's directory.

I think this happened because, although i told you before to delete your .ini files, LBC itself was copying the ones in your LBC program files directory into each user's directory on first run.  The new version shouldn't do that.

I've also added code now that should prevent LBC from loading a .mcp project file from somewhere OTHER than where the config (ini) directory is, even if the ini file tells it to, unless its running in portable mode.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:53 AM by mouser »

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 08:32 AM »
LBC 1.138.05 Nailed that little bug(gar)!   :)
One small anomaly - When LBC first launched (in TFC) it correctly picked up the local account's parameters. I exited LBC and then switched to the colin account and it started up with the TFC parameters. However, I experimented further and closed the incorrect (TFC) user file and opened the local (colin) file. That did the trick. I can now switch back and forth between the accounts, leaving LBC open in each one and everything is as it should be in both accounts. That was quite fortuitous because I could so easily have exclaimed "Oh darn, it didn't work" or something similar. :P
I didn't test the portable version but can give it a whirl for you if there is the slightest possibility it may have different code.
Now to surprise the wife and surreptitiously activate it in her account.  :o
Thanks Mouser, I appreciate having all your efforts devoted to solving MY problems. :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 08:48 AM »
I can now switch back and forth between the accounts, leaving LBC open in each one and everything is as it should be in both accounts.

And to confirm, if you exit LBC and restart it, it remembers that each user had a different file opened on the last exit, and loads up the proper different last file for each?

Happy Expat

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 08:58 AM »
I can now switch back and forth between the accounts, leaving LBC open in each one and everything is as it should be in both accounts.

And to confirm, if you exit LBC and restart it, it remembers that each user had a different file opened on the last exit, and loads up the proper different last file for each?

Obviously, my bad grammar. My test procedure was to move back and forth with all the discrete permutations of LBC active or inactive, 1 account or 2 accounts and the results were the same. I didn't however do a full system shut down.
Which bit of perfect was confusing you?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 09:11 AM »
great, just wanted to make sure you exited LBC and restarted it. No need to reboot pc.