topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Displaying editable line of text in DesktopCoral  (Read 8287 times)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Displaying editable line of text in DesktopCoral
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:20 PM »
I would like to have a line of text (in black font) displayed at the top of my screen in a narrow band at all times, with a grey background and nothing else showing (no borders, no chrome). I was able to achieve this by taking a screenshot of the text in WriteMonkey, and then using it as a background image in DesktopCoral.

However, ideally I would also like to be able to update this text quickly, by typing directly in the DesktopCoral area. Is there a way of achieving this with some kind of a widget that would allow me to have a basic text editor window within the DesktopCoral space?

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: Displaying editable line of text in DesktopCoral
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:41 AM »
However, ideally I would also like to be able to update this text quickly, by typing directly in the DesktopCoral area. Is there a way of achieving this with some kind of a widget that would allow me to have a basic text editor window within the DesktopCoral space?

Hi Mouser - let me rephrase this as a feature request directly addressed to you, in case this is currently not possible. Here is a screenshot of how I'm using DC currently. Being able to update my text in DC would eliminate the need to take screenshots, load them into DC, tinker with them, etc. It would be a lot quicker. More description on my use and other possible uses here.

minimalist_desktop.pngDisplaying editable line of text in DesktopCoral

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Hi dr_andus.

I can definitely see the use in this.
However, it seems to me that this might be better handled by existing tools that display text on the screen.

For example, I know since the beginning of DesktopCoral people have used it with the program Samurize.

So my question is, can you look for some tools that can display text on the desktop at arbitrary locations, and then combine this with Desktop Coral.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Mouser - thanks for giving me the extra nudge to check out Samurize, it did solve my problem. It's even an improvement over the previous solution, as my line of text now will stay visible even in full-screen mode with some applications, which otherwise would cover up DesktopCoral. My only problem with Samurize is that it renders Courier New font very poorly, so I had to settle on a different font. Oh, well... Now I'm just being greedy...  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 04:50 PM »
Excellent  :up: