topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Taking a screenshot of Steam client  (Read 3143 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Taking a screenshot of Steam client
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:26 AM »
ever since it was introduced, i had always used the %nicename% field in my file-naming template section. however recently when i took a screenshot of the Steam client, i noticed that Steam had somehow messed up in naming its interface and the following is returned when i use %nicename% field:

Steam Client Bootstrapper (Steam Client Bootstrapper (buildbot_winslave04_steam_steam_rel_client_win32@winslave04)) [Steam]

with that the filename becomes unnecessarily lengthy. i was weighing up my options and they are as follows:

1. use another field like %windowtitle% instead of %nicename% but that would be a global change.
2. use the post-capture command-line tool option to run a script that truncates the excessive parts.
3. to post here so that i can dawdle over my coffee while mouser comes up with a response.

so over to you, mouser.. :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Taking a screenshot of Steam client
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:35 AM »
hmm..

so which part is the %nicename% and is there some pattern to it on different runs?

i mean i suppose i can envision an options tab where you can specify some regex search and replace rules to run on generated filenames, but thats a bit extreme..

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Taking a screenshot of Steam client
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:55 AM »
actually, %nicename% is the whole of highlighted blue text. i tried several times and they all return the same lengthy name.

i also looked up the Steam processes in process explorer and i found 2 of them, pics as below
Process Explorer_2013-09-25_00003.png

and here are the results of different fields that i tested on Steam client.

My Default Template: %quickfield%%nicename%_%customdate%_%num% (Note: customdate is as following %Y-%m-%d)

Tested fields:
windowtitlepure = Steam
windowtitle = Steam
filename = Steam
nicename = Steam Client Bootstrapper (Steam Client Bootstrapper (buildbot_winslave04_steam_steam_rel_client_win32@winslave04)) [Steam]
fullfilename = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
productname = Steam Client Bootstrapper