topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Science of Snobbery  (Read 2297 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Science of Snobbery
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:57 AM »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Science of Snobbery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Read the first section, and dont really relate much (note: I'm no big fan of 'high-culture', the opposite in fact, but I do love music, including classical).
I was wondering was there a telling quote that would inspire me to read further :D :P

No worries, I'm reading onwards :up:
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Science of Snobbery
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 05:54 PM »
It was an interesting read, but very fragmented. I struggled with the whole see-saw thing with all the examples.
Attempting to define intuition in more depth would have been helpful - I thought he made a few assumptions en route.

This quote really confused me:
I'm not claiming that the predictions of experts are fundamentally worthless. … Take doctors. They're often excellent when it comes to short-term predictions. But they're often quite poor in predicting how a patient will be doing in five or 10 years. And they don't know the difference. That's the key.

"They dont know the difference" - how exactly?
"That's the key" - to what?
and then I ask why is he quoting this - and I cannot see.

The Mark Zuckerberg reference went over my head as well - no, I didnt follow the link (I presume I shouldn't *have* to in order to understand this article). Sometimes I'm slow in picking up on things, but other times I pick up on things that others just read over - not sure which is going on here.

The intuition thing definitely is interesting - I tried to explain my comment above (about assumptions), but found myself floundering a bit... maybe another time.
Tom