topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED Some knowledge about folder symbols?  (Read 3029 times)

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED Some knowledge about folder symbols?
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:19 PM »
I kindly ask for some knowledge about folder symbols some experts here might have; I'm going to trial some tools and am very willing to share my experience with them afterwards, it's just I don't have any knowledge on this subject yet, so I hope to better adjust my approach with some additional info.

There are some tools; one free tool just has got the same (closed) folder symbol we all know, in just a few (ugly) colors; I would need many more, and especially, many more (and brighter) colors for that same symbol. It seems there are many symbol collections out there, both free and paid, so the question here would be, in what format such symbol should / would have to be imported into the tool, in order to be as tiny and without problems as possible.

Then, there is a paid tool in two versions, where the free (or cheaper) one just replaces your folder symbols on your current system, but not for any use, for example by usb stick, on another pc (where the symbols of the folders in question you might have re-colored before, would then revert to the original yellow).

Of course, this intrigues me, not because I want just buy the cheaper version but have the functionality of the more expensive one, but because I would like to understand what's going on.

Of course, I know I can replace folder symbols by delving into the right-click menu, without buying any tool for this, but here again, the question arises if such a replacement will only work on the current pc, in light of what can be concluded by the different versions of the above-mentioned tool.

Why such replacements (other symbol and/or just other color) would not be persistent to begin with? What does Windows do with such symbols, meaning does it process them in any way, instead of just displaying them?

Of course, we have the problem here with two concurrent folder symbols, closed and open; I don't assume I would be able to use them both, I just would be happy to have the "closed" symbol, but in as many different colors as I need them.

And if Windows does indeed some processing of such folder symbols, the question arises if this processing is different between my XP, Vista, 7 and now 8.

And finally, it would be of interest to know if such new symbols work invariably in any file commander or if, depending on the file manager in question, you should be up for bad surprises, again, in case, because of some special processing the layman would not expect to be done behind the scenes.

That's why I greatly would appreciate some more info, also perhaps by links I didn't find (yet) on my own.
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:01 AM by peter.s »

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED Some knowledge about folder symbols?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:06 AM »
If individual icon assignments are done very differently from type assignments, both can be changed very easily, or then, buy some 30 dollars tool as I did not.
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:07 AM »
You seem to be a bit confused about a few things.

There are no graphics for folders. None. Zero. Nada. Folders are only logical representations for groups of files and folders. They have no "graphic" information associated with them. (Though they do have information that can allow for different graphics to be associated.)

Individual programs use their own graphics to represent folders.

Windows has "themes" that you can change. These themes include graphics for folders.

That's a quick, low-level description. I hope it's helpful.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 03:05 PM »
hi peter.s
what have you looked at already? and, what OS are you using?
Tom