topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Am I the only person that has a real big problem with software like this?  (Read 53942 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would only ask how much difference there is between the NSA/government and parents when it comes to actually caring. I somehow doubt that the former really cares about people, whereas the latter do care about their children.

I'd say none. These things always start with a desire to care for/protect X. But than as circumstances extenuate more stringent measures are needed. So before anybody realizes what's happening an NSA class invasion is born.

Baby steps and good intentions...that, is precisely how anything goes to shit.

You're giving the government too much credit and parents as a whole too little IMO.  I don't think that most gov't applications start out as anything other than a power grab.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
It's one thing to have an explicit agreement with your young kids that you are going to be monitoring their online/mobile activity in exchange for them getting such a device.  But doing it secretly seems like it's teaching them some wrong lessons.
Well, that might be true if you told them about it, but not if you kept it a secret. True?

In any event, whilst I used to be ambivalent towards the idea of "spying" on one's children - because I could see points on either side - from personal experience I would have to come down firmly on the side of the case for spying. I do mean spying, and that implies that it is to be kept secret.

(See rest of post - here.)