topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Pre-select user on log-in  (Read 9351 times)

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Pre-select user on log-in
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:18 AM »
When I turn on my WinXP, I have two accounts, usually using the first.

I waste about 1-2 seconds (reminding that in this context, 1 computer second is equivalent to what seems like 1 hour!) using my touchpad and looking for the cursor and moving it to the right user and clicking to select it before inserting my password (*pant!*).

I recently learned that I can save some time using the WIN+DOWN ARROW key to select the user I want. But what if I did that through some sort of script?

I don't want to automatically logon, I just want that my prefered user is already selected for me so all I have to do is insert my password and hit enter.

Thanks!
VEvola

BTW
You guys are great!

dtrud0h

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Rant-Zone
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Pre-select user on log-in
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:20 PM »
I think vevola,
  That in either gpedit.msc, or secpol.msc there is an option to remember last user.  Someone might verify this (for some reason I'm getting an error while trying to bring it up).
If I remember right many of the windows tweaking programs offer this option as well.
If you mainly use the one account you would have to do the finding the cursor thing only when you decided to use the other account.

The following was copied from WinXPnews.com
How to Hide the Name of the Last User Who Logged On

If you share your Windows XP computers with other users who have their own accounts, you might want to change the default behavior which automatically displays the account name of the user who logged on most frequently, and have the logon dialog box just start as a "blank slate." To do this on an XP Pro computer:

1. Click Start | Run and type gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy Editor console.
   2. In the left pane, navigate to and click Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options.
   3. In the right pane, locate and double click the item labeled Interactive logon: Do not display last user name.
   4. Click the option button to enable the policy.
   5. Click Apply and then click OK.

Disabling this if it is enabled will give you the result i explained above.
XP home?  Idunno.
<- I have nothing witty to put here ->

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 11:29 AM »
i get an error too... winxphome

REDONDOS

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 12:36 PM »
If there's a way that it can be done using the keyboard, then it's highly probable that I'm going to leave the mouse untouched.

I hit the <TAB> key when having to log-in. Once you've selected any user, you can switch between them using the <UP> and <DOWN> cursor keys.

I know I'm now answering your question about a way of auto-selecting your username, but this will speed up things by removing the necessity of having to use your laptop's touchpad.

Foxen

• Mini-review Master
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 01:58 AM »
easy and can be done with microsoft tools.
step 1: turn off the 'welcome' screen, using the old login screen
step 2: download tweakui from microsoft and install it.
step 3: run tweakui and set it to autologin whoever you want.

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 04:30 AM »
There is no way to do exactly what you want (as you don't want it to autologon), but you can get most of the way there.  As Foxen said, first switch off the Welcome screen in Control Panel.  This will revert to the classic Windows login screen, which by default always remembers the previous login name and starts with the cursor in the password box.

You will have to type the other username in though if you want to use it, and once you logout it will be displayed as the last login meaning you have to type your original username back in again.  :-[

Unfortunately if you wanted the functionality you describe you would need a custom GINA to provide the account management.  This is probably a little too large a task for Coding Snacks, I would think.  ;)
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 07:51 PM »
thx to everyone!