topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Doom! to Kickstarter and the $999 game company  (Read 1841 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Doom! to Kickstarter and the $999 game company
« on: August 03, 2013, 04:16 PM »
from http://www.boardgame...he-s999-game-company

This was going to wait, but with the failure of "The Doom That Came To Atlantic City!" to the tune of $122,874 of backer's money, the time seems to have come to me. In the update "Terminus" the creator describes part of the failure as a result of "forming a company" and "I left my job" among other things.

So, I will show through example how one can create a game (and through it a game company) with less than $1,000. The budget in fact will be $999 total. I spent $12 today to register a domain, so there is $987 left in the budget. What are some ways you would spend money on a game company pre-Kickstarter?

Why?

Not just because it can be done, but because in the course of running TMG I have come across some great games which do not fit for TMG for one reason or another. Right now, there are 3 games. One game which would be best to show as a potential drinking/gambling game. Not acceptable for the TMG brand.

One game which would require more POD style manufacturing. Using lasers to etch things like dice and cut things like wooden boxes. Additionally, the play style of the game is too mass-market and not gamer-centric enough. Not for TMG...

And another which due to the amount of components could not be the correct price. If TMG did it, and it sold in retail stores, it would need to be at least $29.99 which would be a horrible price point for the game. However, $20 direct should work, and I can't sell direct only with a TMG product.

Thus, Paradise Game Labs is created. And it will only use a budget of $999 to start. Of course, revenue and profits from the first Kickstarter project would allow the continuation of the company.

And $122,874 of pledges would certainly be many times what is needed on the initial funding.

To make sure that you keep up with how things are going, and if you want to be notified of newsworthy things for the company, signup to receive emails at:

http://paradisegamelabs.com

We will be starting with a dice game by Scott Almes, designer of Martian Dice and Kings of Air and Steam. It is fantastic, requires 24 custom dice, cards, and some more stuff. And we need to target a price point of $20

More to come, including a print and play...

http://paradisegamelabs.com

Should be interesting for a variety of reasons...