topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Preview  (Read 3981 times)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 8.1 Preview
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:56 AM »
Yesterday Microsoft released a public preview of Windows 8.1 featuring the return of the Start button, an overhauled unified search and Internet Explorer 11. Anybody take it for a spin?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:42 AM »
I have it downloaded. I'm waiting until this weekend when I should have the time - and also be in a more unbiased and receptive mood - to give it a fair tryout. ;D

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:11 PM »
I'd like to get clarification of licensing or subscription changes... I could swear I saw something about a change, but haven't had time to follow up.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 02:34 AM »
... Windows 8.1 featuring the return of the Start button, ...
The sham Start button: Man, it bugs me when tech writers and Windows 8 fanboys claim that Win8.1's new Start button is like what we're used to in XP/Vista/Win7. It's not even close. Microsoft put an icon on the far-left side of the taskbar (see Figure 1) that looks like the modern Windows logo. But when you click or tap it, you don't get Win7's start menu; as with Windows 8, you're immediately flipped over to the Metro Start screen.

That's the default action. Win8.1 also lets you use the Start button to open the new Apps view. (Find more on Apps view below, in "Changes to the Metro side of Windows.") And if you right-click or tap-and-hold the Start button, you get the Win-X power-user menu, shown in Figure 1. The new Win-X menu is nearly identical to the old one — except for one important new option: Shut down. (Your Win-X menu might also have the Windows PowerShell in place of the Command Prompt. More on that below.)

https://windowssecre...-8-1-a-preview-tour/
-Windows Secrets Top Story

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:59 AM »
A rather lengthy and detailed article on the coming (October 18), final Windows 8.1: https://windowssecre...e-final-windows-8-1/

Before going through Windows 8.1, I’ll cut directly to the 30-second summary: if you have Windows 8, you’re going to want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. There are a few gotchas (see below), but by and large Win 8.1 is an improvement.

On the other hand, if you’re still using Windows 7 and you’re on the fence about migrating to Windows 8, nothing in Win8.1 will sway your decision to upgrade. For traditional Windows users who are perfectly happy with a mouse, a nice screen, and a comfortable keyboard — and who prefer to not poke at big, blinking boxes — Win 8.1 brings nothing new to the table.

Enhancing Windows 8′s Start screen experience
Win8′s tiled (aka Metro) Start screen is what nearly all users love, hate, or love to hate about the new operating system. For the most part, the Win8.1 Start screen is just like Win8′s — a full-screen, live-tiled, touch-centric counterpoint to the classic Windows desktop. Most of Win8.1′s improvements are somewhat behind the curtains. They include: ...
read much more: https://windowssecre...e-final-windows-8-1/

-Touring through the final Windows 8.1