topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: International Currency Transfers  (Read 6343 times)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
International Currency Transfers
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:34 AM »
I am looking into the question of making currency transfers between the UK and the US and wondered if anyone had any experience of, or thoughts on, a cheap (and reliable/secure) method.

Using an online service would not be my first choice but in general it does seem to be cheaper so I may have to use that method.

One thing I have come across is http://www.currencyfair.com/company which needs to be set up online but transactions can then be carried out by phone.
Has anybody ever used them? Has anybody ever heard of them?
Gives a whole new world of meaning to P2P!
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: International Currency Transfers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:21 PM »
I am looking into the question of making currency transfers between the UK and the US and wondered if anyone had any experience of, or thoughts on, a cheap (and reliable/secure) method.

Using an online service would not be my first choice but in general it does seem to be cheaper so I may have to use that method.

One thing I have come across is http://www.currencyfair.com/company which needs to be set up online but transactions can then be carried out by phone.
Has anybody ever used them? Has anybody ever heard of them?
Gives a whole new world of meaning to P2P!

Looks interesting but why does a site/company based in Ireland, England and Australia have an option to load the site in Polish ??? (See top-right on site.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 05:34 PM »
@Pilgrim - If you do end up going with something like CurrencyFair could you do a write-up of your experiences with it? I think that information would be useful to several members here at DoCo.
 :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:50 PM »
CurrencyFair appears to be equivalent to the age old Islamic hawalaw system as used by crooks, tax dodgers, pirates and terrorists the World over....so it must be good.  :)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

joiwind.

That was something I noticed, I have no idea why unless they have a large number of clients there.
Another thing I learned both from their website and talking to them is that they are regulated in each of the countries where they have offices, as two of them are in the EU that means the regulation is EU wide.

40hz,

I'll see how I get on. Based on yesterday's exchange rate they were offering 8c on the £ more than my bank without any additional charges.
I did a rough calculation based on exchange rate differences between the bank, the market, and the company, as well as charges.
By my calculations, taking everything into account (sorry about that  :)) it costs around 7% through the bank and close to 1% through them.
That is a big difference!

4wd,

The Boss is one of your fellow-countrymen, what can I say?  :D
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:17 AM »
I did a rough calculation based on exchange rate differences between the bank, the market, and the company, as well as charges.
By my calculations, taking everything into account (sorry about that  :)) it costs around 7% through the bank and close to 1% through them.
That is a big difference!

You need another bank, when we moved a rather large amount of AU$ to the UK a couple of years ago it worked out to ~2.5%, (IIRC).

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 05:33 AM »
The 7% included all charges, to my bank, to an intermediary bank, to the recipients bank, as well as a reduced exchange rate,
On the exchange rate alone there is a 5.2% reduction on market prices, that is about average compared to other UK banks.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:40 AM »
The 7% included all charges, to my bank, to an intermediary bank, to the recipients bank, as well as a reduced exchange rate,
On the exchange rate alone there is a 5.2% reduction on market prices, that is about average compared to other UK banks.

Why is there an intermediary bank?

Given the IBAN/account number of the destination bank/account you should be able to transfer direct to it....at least, that's all we required.

The only fees were at the sending end and an exchange rate that was ~2p lower than market, (IIRC).

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Why is there an intermediary bank?

Given the IBAN/account number of the destination bank/account you should be able to transfer direct to it....at least, that's all we required.

The only fees were at the sending end and an exchange rate that was ~2p lower than market, (IIRC).

1. Because the receiving does not accept international transactions directly. (They should have stuck with the stagecoaches.)

2. There is no IBAN for US accounts.

3. Part of it depends on the amount you are sending, the figures I have quoted are based on the amount I normally send.

Woe!
These are hard times.
I've always had problems with begging letters but now it's worse than ever.
I keep sending them but no-one replies!