topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Summer Holidays  (Read 2499 times)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
Summer Holidays
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:12 AM »
The beginning of June; a time when, if they have not done so already, a lot of people start thinking about a summer holiday.

It's many years since I had a decent holiday; the last time I went away I even came back earlier than I had expected to.
I got time off for good behaviour.

Although money was short when I was a kid, (so was I) my parents always made sure we got away each year.
When I was very small we were always going to places I'd never been to before so there was always something new and exiting to see and do.
And I always found my way home, eventually.

When I got older I had the opportunity several times to go abroad. Although I didn't speak any foreign languages I was always impressed by how friendly everybody was, waving at you as you drove past.
I must admit it was a bit nerve-racking at times though, as they all seemed to want to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Many years later I remember the first time I ever went on a plane. I wasn't scared of flying as such but I have never been comfortable with heights.
I could never wear Cuban heels for instance, and I've always been glad that I never grew any taller.

As the plane was ambling down the runway to take off I happened to look out of the window, I was sitting just behind the wing.
I wasn't thinking about air pressure or physics or anything like that so when I saw the end of the wing begin to bend I was concerned.
I remember turning to the person next to me and saying "I'm not at all sure about this, the damn thing's flapping its wings to get off the ground!"
It reminded me of Orville in The Rescuers.

Of course if you're travelling a very long distance especially to another continent, flying is really the only way to go.
And going by plane is a lot less wearing on the arms.

In recent years budget airlines have made a tremendous difference to the way people travel.
I've never been on one myself, I got put off when I was told that Ryanair's planes had outside toilets.

This is another extract from Pilgrim: A Brief Hystery.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Summer Holidays
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 05:24 PM »

I would be VERY CONCERNED if I looked out over the wing and it WASN'T flapping.  If it's rigid, it's going to snap off in turbulence.   :P  It would really be bad if a wing snaps off just for going down a bumpy runway.   ;D