topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 'Home' and 'End' and 'FN'.  (Read 17264 times)

evamaria

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 'Home' and 'End' and 'FN'.
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 08:41 AM »
"assuming you can contend with pure C"

Not yet... ;-( but thank you very much for this insight, I'll try to make that sense out of it my very limited means for now will allow for!

"I am trying to avoid adding any extra software to my Netbook"

It's the intro of my tutorial that will interest you, then ("it's a macro tool, AND a text expander!") and the fact that indeed, AHK is very lightweight, it will NOT slow down your netbook. I have edited my tutorial for some more hours, and it's become even longer than before, but everything any starter needs for AHK is there now (I hope), and in succinct form (here, you are free to laugh out loud). Tell me if anything isn't 100 p.c. evident, I'll revise anew. And get rid of 180 of your 240 applications and tools to make room for some breathing! (As for AHK, it could perfectly live with all this presumed crap there I suppose ("crap" = not speaking of the some 25 p.c. good and very good things that are among them I'm sure).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 09:25 AM »
I am trying to avoid adding any extra software to my Netbook and curbing a previously held bad habit at the same time.

If you want to completely avoid running any extra software, your only option is to remap the keyboard, (as IainB has said), using remapkey or some other program, (I've used KeyTweak for years - attached below).

AFAIK, the Fn key on netbook keyboards, (my Aspire One in equivalent to your NC10), is hardware coded/wired within the keyboard - there's no way to get at it short of rewriting the keyboard BIOS or rewiring the keyboard.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55 AM »
It's the intro of my tutorial that will interest you, then ("it's a macro tool, AND a text expander!") and the fact that indeed, AHK is very lightweight, it will NOT slow down your netbook. I have edited my tutorial for some more hours, and it's become even longer than before, but everything any starter needs for AHK is there now (I hope), and in succinct form (here, you are free to laugh out loud). Tell me if anything isn't 100 p.c. evident, I'll revise anew. And get rid of 180 of your 240 applications and tools to make room for some breathing! (As for AHK, it could perfectly live with all this presumed crap there I suppose ("crap" = not speaking of the some 25 p.c. good and very good things that are among them I'm sure).

I have looked at your tutorial and for several months I have been making frequent visits to the AHK forum.

AHK, or come to that any programming language is something my mind cannot grasp, I simply do not think in that way.
I have put together two programs with AHK the first combining two existing scripts I found which is HERE (just updated with a better icon), the second was a modification of another existing script I found and is HERE.
As it happens they both do what they are intended to do but writing a script from scratch, at least at the sort of level required for the things I am trying to do is quite simply beyond my abilities.

As far as this thread goes I have learned a number of things that should allow me to sort it out:
The first is that the remapping of keys can easily be undone.
The second is the location of the registry key where remapping information is stored.
The third is that there is at least one existing program that appears to take account of the FN key on portables that does not need to be installed or even kept on the computer once the changes are made.
As this is registry based if there is a problem I can get back where I started with ERUNT which I run everyday on whichever computer(s) I use.

4wd,

KeyTweak is one of the programs I have downloaded, the other is SharpKeys.

When the FN key is not used HOME and END are respectively PgUp and PgDn two of the very few keys that I never use, my idea is to simply swap the second two for the first two if that is possible.

tomos,

remapkey.exe works on Windows 7 x64 without issues.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 06:30 AM »
Update.

I tried both the programs that I downloaded without success.

KeyTweak appeared to do the job, it recognised the mappings and created new registry keys but when I rebooted and tried the keys nothing happened, with or without the FN key, they simply appeared to have been disabled.

SharpKeys threw up error messages on all the keys I mentioned in the last post claiming they had 'unrecognised mappings'.

I've not got around to looking into this any further but I remember coming up against issues in the past that seemed to point to some of Samsung's own software preventing modifications.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 07:22 AM »
KeyTweak appeared to do the job, it recognised the mappings and created new registry keys but when I rebooted and tried the keys nothing happened, with or without the FN key, they simply appeared to have been disabled.

Works fine here, I've remapped the PgUp and PgDn keys to Home and End and it survives reboots just fine, (Win8 - which I would think would be even more anal than XP about these things).

Did you run KeyTweak after you rebooted to see if the remap was still there, (it detects any active remappings)?

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Did you run KeyTweak after you rebooted to see if the remap was still there, (it detects any active remappings)?

Yes, everything appeared to have worked except for the actual keys.
The first couple of times I tried it was picking up the same mapping with and without the FN key.
When it did finally pick up a difference it was just by 2 on the last digit in each case.

As I said earlier it wouldn't surprise me if this was specific to the model.

I'll give it another try when I get a chance but if it is showing all the right indications and still not working?