topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Coffee/Caffeine Thread!  (Read 42109 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Coffee/Caffeine Thread!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Is one cup of good, black coffee in the morning all that harmful?

Supposedly, that's almost ideal from what I've heard. :Thmbsup:

"The morning cup of coffee has an exhilaration about it which the cheering influence of the afternoon or evening cup of tea cannot be expected to reproduce."   ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.,
[/quote]
My new favorite coffee quote.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 06:26 PM »
^Hehe, now mine as well. 

^I was curious how coffee is decaffeinated. I find I often dont react well to the dacafs I've tried but that could be more to do with me than the coffee.
Came across this site talking about the various processes - methods are interesting, worth a read:
How is coffee decaffeinated?

(FWIW apparently they're aiming to produce a GMO decaf coffee.)

Yes, there are quite a lot of ways to decaffeinate coffee, all with the aim of extracting the caffeine but not the flavor.

rocky-and-Bullwinkle.png

... and the naturally decaffeinated coffee I heard of is not GMO, but a naturally occurring species know as Coffea Charrierianaw.  Can't wait to try some. d_coffee.gif

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Some while back - late 2012, methinks, but not certain - there was a blurb about [medical] research redefining the benefits of coffee/caffeine.  Seems that two (2) cups a day aids some physical/mental functionality.  Been trying to find it ever since  :(.  The actual paper - at least the part that was published - described the benefits, but, of course, I read it, thought, "Hey that's good," and promptly ditched it.

[Edit]
No, I didn't ditch it. 
A study finds that older adults who drink java are less likely to die than those who don't. Subjects who averaged four or five cups per day fared best, though it's not clear why.  source
However, at the time, I found other resources for validation that I cannot remember now.  Obviously, I'm not drinking enough coffee  :P.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:46 PM by barney »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Seems that two (2) cups a day aids some physical/mental functionality.  Been trying to find it ever since  :(.  The actual paper - at least the part that was published - described the benefits, but, of course, I read it, thought, "Hey that's good," and promptly ditched it.

Same thing, but what I read was related to the relationship between the rate of the loss of cognitive function in diabetics and the amount of caffeine they consumed. (more caffeine = slower rate of loss) I thought "Hey that's good!", promptly ditched it, AND stopped complaining about my husband drinking my tea (unless he becomes excessive or drinks one of my special teas without permission)

And with scientists wanting to call Alzheimer's Type 3 Diabetes, I am thinking it might be a good idea to watch your carbs and drink more coffee/tea (without sugar).  :D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Some while back - late 2012, methinks, but not certain - there was a blurb about [medical] research redefining the benefits of coffee/caffeine.  Seems that two (2) cups a day aids some physical/mental functionality.

I also listened to an interview on National Public Radio several months ago in which a medical study had come out stating that moderate consumption of caffeinated coffee was actually shown to be positively correlated with decreased occurrence of prostate cancer in men.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Some while back - late 2012, methinks, but not certain - there was a blurb about [medical] research redefining the benefits of coffee/caffeine.  Seems that two (2) cups a day aids some physical/mental functionality.

I also listened to an interview on National Public Radio several months ago in which a medical study had come out stating that moderate consumption of caffeinated coffee was actually shown to be positively correlated with decreased occurrence of prostate cancer in men.

It was just a couple of months ago an article in the local paper said they found coffee is good for you.  It also helps prevent heart problems or something like that.  Guess that's why I have such a strong heart.  lol

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08 PM »
In the 80's coffee was demonized and vindicated about 5 times as various research groups persisted in concocting data to fit their theories. Personally I don't think it matters what you do as long as it is in moderation.

Now stressing out about what the latest health craze wants everyone to do more/less of ... That'll kill you.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Now stressing out about what the latest health craze wants everyone to do more/less of ... That'll kill you.

Personal current stressing is lager.  I'm told that'll kill me, as well.  But, considering all the warnings I've seen - e.g. olive oil is bad, use corn oil, then canola oil, then, oh yeah, olive oil is good for ya! - over the years, I'm not too worried  ;D.

To my mind, the health craze of the {day|year|decade|century} is just that - a craze.  Most of 'em, like diets, work for a while, then die.  So I'll take my chances with caffeine, alcohol, all the foods that are bad for me, all my other bad habits, crazes notwithstanding.

Thimk I'll go stress with another lager - then a cup of coffee when I awaken.  I love stress  :P.  G'night.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 04:22 PM »
In the 80's coffee was demonized and vindicated about 5 times as various research groups persisted in concocting data to fit their theories. Personally I don't think it matters what you do as long as it is in moderation.

Tis why in past post I've said that "I've been reading so much about things that are bad for me that I decided to give up reading."

And you'll note that back in the 80's when they started telling you how bad coffee was for you, that's when the price of coffee skyrocketed.  I just wonder if their "research" was funded by shareholders.  Seems that everything is related to following the money.....

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 04:27 PM »

Personal current stressing is lager.  I'm told that'll kill me, as well.  But, considering all the warnings I've seen - e.g. olive oil is bad, use corn oil, then canola oil, then, oh yeah, olive oil is good for ya! - over the years, I'm not too worried  ;D.

To my mind, the health craze of the {day|year|decade|century} is just that - a craze.  Most of 'em, like diets, work for a while, then die.  So I'll take my chances with caffeine, alcohol, all the foods that are bad for me, all my other bad habits, crazes notwithstanding.

Thimk I'll go stress with another lager - then a cup of coffee when I awaken.  I love stress  :P.  G'night.

No no, now they say that beer is good for you in moderation.  I remember when we went through all the corn/olive/vegitable oils craze.  And the latest I heard is that you need to stay away from corn & vegetable oil and go back to the shortenings that they said was bad for you 20 years ago.

All this kind of makes me want to pop open a Samual Adams Alpine Spring ale.  Now that's a golden lager that'll make you happy....  ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Samual Adams Alpine Spring ale
:Thmbsup:

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 08:34 PM »
moderation

Sorry, don't recognize that usage.  Isn't a moderator someone who kinda oversees a discussion, [/i]i.e.[/i], performs moderation?  Don't see one (1) here ... yet, anyway.  So moderation is out of the scope of this thread  :P.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Samual Adams Alpine Spring ale

Sounds good. I think I'll join you. (Actually, pretty much anything by Sam - or Dogfish Head- will do nicely. :-*)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Don't see one (1) here ... yet, anyway.  So moderation is out of the scope of this thread  :P.

;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 02:25 PM »
There's been some grumbling lately in the science community about these types of studies. I don't think they are funded FOR the purpose of raising Y, I think X study comes out for its own reasons, then someone has a Business Lunch and looks at the study and then sets about making money.

These studies are in a weird category of "the truth but not the whole truth".  So they're "not wrong" (skipping the scam ones!) when they say things like "it is good for you because it lowers blood pressure" and "it is bad for you because it messes up your sleep" are not wrong - but they are never *merged*.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 07:06 PM »
moderation

Sorry, don't recognize that usage.  Isn't a moderator someone who kinda oversees a discussion, [/i]i.e.[/i], performs moderation?  Don't see one (1) here ... yet, anyway.  So moderation is out of the scope of this thread  :P.

To be perfectly honest, I don't use "moderation" when it comes to coffee.  I just finished my last 6 of 12 cups of coffee for the day and am already jonesing for another cup....   :drinksmiley:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 09:20 PM »
In 1984, coffee was essential to success:

;D

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 09:41 PM »
In 1984, coffee was essential to success:

;D

I just noticed how relevant your signature is to this thread.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 10:24 AM »
I just noticed how relevant your signature is to this thread.
-Stephen66515 (April 26, 2013, 09:41 PM)

Yep!  ;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 08:49 PM »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57 PM »
A few vintage treats...

This Is Coffee (1961)
by the Coffee Brewing Institute

Learn the old school way for making the perfect cup of coffee.

Time for Coffee (1950)
Made possible by the cooperation of A&P

Coffee growing, harvesting, bean processing, and roasting.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 11:40 PM »
App, those are awesome!  :-*

I'm making this for breakfast tomorrow:

Great for when you run out of filters, and I hear you can add the shells as well to cut the cloudiness. :shrug:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:02 AM by Edvard »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 12:57 AM »
App, those are awesome!  :-*

I love old videos like those.  :-*

Great for when you run out of filters, and I hear you can add the shells as well to cut the cloudiness. :shrug:

Interesting!

But one never runs out of filters when they use a permanent one;)

I have been using one for almost 20 years and wouldn't consider ever going back to wasting money on paper filters. Imagine getting 20 years worth of filters for about $5. Not to say that anybody else end up with one that would last as long as mine. (I wash mine very gently by hand) The better ones do have a 5 year warranty, though, so even if it only lasts that long, you'd still save money and not have to worry about running out of filters.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 06:46 PM »

Eggshells were a common thing in the old southwest (US) to settle the grounds after boiling coffee over a campfire.  Still is, if you camp a lot.  Eggshells (left over from breakfast, of course) and a dash of cold water do wonders for keeping grounds out of your cup - until you're about two-thirds of a pot down, anyway  :P.  (Personally, I don't care for boiled coffee  :o, but it does have its place  :-*.)

(I do have to wonder, however, how the cowboys managed to transport [unbroken] eggs  :huh:.)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 07:11 PM »
(I do have to wonder, however, how the cowboys managed to transport [unbroken] eggs  :huh:.)

Maybe they didn't. Maybe they only brought some empty shells along, perhaps already washed, dried, crushed and mixed in with their pre-ground coffee. It would make more sense. Lighter, takes up less space, not as fragile, no worries of spoiling on a long trip, and a lot less fuss & bother to make while out on the trail.

And even more convenient, would have been to use the old "sock method" of brewing coffee, where one uses a cloth bag (usually silk) or a clean sock to hold the grounds, ties a knot in it and drops it into the pot of boiling water. (early permafilter technology  ;D)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:21 PM by app103 »