topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Update - crashes in Win 8. Win 7 now must open pic from desktop only.  (Read 6106 times)

shearerka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :mad:

I use Screenshot Captor daily for work. I have one WIN 7 and one WIN 8 PC. The WIN 7 will work with the updated Screenshot Captor but I must now drag images to the desktop in order for htem to open. Otherwise the screenshot captor viewing area is blank. On the WIN 8 machine, opening an image with Screenshot Captor results in an error: Error allocating handle: #1. When I click "OK", a Screenshot Captor window opens: Screenshot Captor has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

Help?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi shaereka.

Screenshot Captor should run fine on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Are you using the latest version?

Anyone else having these troubles?

Screenshot Captor runs on tons of windows 7 machines fine, perhaps we should start there since windows 7 is a bit more common.  You say you have to drag images to the desktop in order for them to open.  Can you explain what you mean -- I don't understand what you are saying isn't working.  What are you trying to do and what do you expect to happen and what happens?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And are you saying the prior versions of screenshot captor worked for you but the new version doesn't?
Or is there a particular action you are trying to perform from the program?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:25 AM by mouser »

shearerka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, I have a network link to my SharePoint folder of photos. Before I upgraded Screenshot Captor, I just clicked on the picture (PNG) and had the default to open in Screenshot Captor. It no longer does this. (since the update). I now have to drag to the desktop and then it will open. Not a huge deal. Just a change. So I can function on my Win 7 machine.

The problem is, I need to work off site. My laptop (WIN 8 machine) does not even work when I attempt to open the pictures (screen shots) from the desktop. I added Screenshot Captor (newest version) as soon as I upgraded to Windows 8. Since then, I can't work on my photos (a huge part of my job). I just get the errors listed above.

Thanks so much for the quick response - I wish I would have found this forum sooner. I have been pulling my hair out and looking for other annotation/editing options. I would prefer to get this running, however.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok let's try to do this one thing at a time and start with the win7 issue:

So on windows 7 you are saying Screenshot Captor itself works fine and when you are in it, it works fine.
Your problem is you want to be able to double click png images and have them open in SC.
And that that used to work and now doesnt.

And are you saying that it still works when you do so from an image on a local drive and that the only problem is when double-clicking images on a sharepoint folder?

And what exactly happens when you double click one of these images and it doesn't open -- do you get an error from screenshot captor or just nothing happens?

And so when you say "i now have to drag it to the desktop and then it will open" -- so you are saying that after you copy from sharepoint to your desktop you can double click to open it in screenshot captor and everything works fine.

---

If i'm right about all that, then i think what's happened is that SC may now be refusing to open files that look like they are on a network share.. i do think i remember making a change that could have caused that.  IF everything above is correct can you tell me what the PATH of these sharepoint file looks like? An example path for an image i mean.

shearerka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Correct. Local drive works fine. It is just the network location now. I opened a photo from the Pictures file on my hard drive and it was just fine. I am not worried about this and I can work around it but it is curious.

shearerka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops - pushed "post" too quickly.
What I get is the opened screenshot captor, but there is no image in the view area.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's an example path to a network shared image?

shearerka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
https://sharepoint.X.../TechnologyResources
(XXXX is our district and XX is our state - since this is a public forum)

But, again, this is not my concern. I NEED to have this working on my laptop ASAP. I am able to function when I am on site. I need to function off site on my laptop/WIN 8.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK so what's the win8 problem you are having?

shearerka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When I try to open a photo (either from the desktop, hard drive, anywhere) Screenshot Captor does not show the image in the viewing area. It is blank. There is no information, nothing showing, nothing avaialble to annotate on or edit. Then the error message occurs (see my first post) and the application shuts down.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On windows 8, if you just launch screenshot captor normally and try to capture and manipulate images, does everything work as planned?

Is it only when you try to configure screenshot captor to open your images and then double click on an image file outside screenshot captor that the error occurs?

I'm trying to narrow down your problem -- the first step is figuring out if you are saying screenshot captor errors as soon as you launch it from start menu, or only in certain operations.

shearerka

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, it just did error as soon as I turned it on. I restarted my machine and got'er back.

Good thinking! Yep, the capture feature works. Pulls the image right in and shows on the left as well as the zoom/nav area beneath the viewing area.

So, it is just opening images that seems to be the issue.

I tried desktop and network location and it didn't work. Just tried pictures folder on the hard drive and it DID work, although I believe I have tried that recently and it didn't. Can't say for sure, though. Getting closer!