topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Finally, a robust keyboard shortcut app!  (Read 44156 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Finally, a robust keyboard shortcut app!
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2006, 02:31 PM »
author=brotherS link=topic=344.msg26520#msg26520 date=1148721550]
I'd trash every program that tries to separate me from two of my best friends: Ctrl+C and Ctrl-V

Using macros to run ClipText gives seamless access to the Windows clipboard from DOS programs; press whichever function key you've assigned, plus one other letter, job done.  No more trouble than Windows Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V.  Some of us still prefer the productive environments we already have, rather than trying to build something similar all over again, probably at great(er) expense, in Windows.  I bitterly resented Gate$ pirating Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, which are important WordStar control keys, and date to before Windows was invented   >:(  Oh, dear, better not start on that...

If you like "small" free Windows editors, you might take a look at TED Notepad which is one of the most powerful small ones.  Because I like WordStar editors I sometimes use WSedit at http://www.hypermake...nglish/overview.html  which gives you both WordStar keys in a CUA-compliant WinGUI editor, so you can have clipboard access as well.

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2006, 11:17 AM »
Thanks a lot, rjbull.  Such a detailed post, I really appreciate it.  I went to the VDE link and got totally absorbed in it, and while I was clicking links here and there for the "other" DOS utilities, I came across the Shorthand for Windows third-party utility page which mentions that Tame allows Shorthand to work in DOS programs.  Wow, was I surprised!  As I think you know, I'm pretty intimately knowledgeable about the Shorthand abbreviation expander (in a lot of respects), but I didn't know that!  I immediately put that on my board and I'll have to try it out myself. 

Having finished with that tangent unrelated to your post, VDE looks pretty interesting.  Thanks for all the info. 

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Harrie,

You're welcome, I just wish I'd prefaced my last post with the caveat "some assembly required."

The Free Software for DOS Web site associated with the VDE site is fascinating...