topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I want the desktop to show in sequence in alttab  (Read 4428 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I want the desktop to show in sequence in alttab
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:17 AM »
Windows 7
Here's how it works for me (like in XP)**

(Sorry, I dont know the correct terminology here which made it difficult to search for this & difficult to describe).

Lets say you have 5 windows open. A/B/C/D/E
And I'll call the desktop 'DT'

B has focus.
When you hit alttab the next in line is the last window that had focus let's say that was D.

Switch to E, then the sequence will be E/B/D/A/DT
Desktop always shows at the end of the first line of thumbnails.

If I switch to desktop and back to E, when I go to alttab again, the desktop will still show thus - E/B/D/A/DT

so my question is if there is a way to force the desktop to act as a window i.e. to also show according to the rule of 'which had focus last' ?

Screenshot - 2013-03-19 , 13_08_37.pngI want the desktop to show in sequence in alttab

** disclaimer - I did tweak alttab a little after installing win 7 but I think that was only to get rid of the pesky window-frame previews it showed. I have alt-tab set up pretty much in the 'traditional' XP way but with thumbnails.
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I want the desktop to show in sequence in alttab
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 04:11 PM »
 ;D thanks, Tom, that was funny! I have never played with Alt+Tab or Window Switcher before. But no matter how I did, DT came last. So if the way exist, it surely must be via some third party application. Maybe one way could be to use numbers - Switcher ( http://www.guidingte...alt-tab-alternative/ ) worked like that. One related problem is of course that many third party apps doesn't include the desktop (search "alternative to alt+tab")! But other than that, this is yet another (funny) area of which I know nothing ;-)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 04:23 PM »
info: Win+Tab if you prefer the larger flip view
Alt+Esc if the desktop is not to be included.

Very often the easiest way for me is to click the icon C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch > Window Switcher, because the desktop then is merely one scroll backwards.

---------
hmm... because of the European winter storms today I have had quite a few problems with lack of Internet connections.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:47 PM by Curt, Reason: winter storm »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:15 PM »
In XP I used have a dedicated app to show the desktop in the taskbar and you could naturally alttab to it.
Because desktop display is built into 7, I think what I need is some sort of in-system solution.

I might try asking at www.superuser.com
I did find a few nice variation shortcuts there for alttab & for desktop:
Spoiler
Windows 7 (with aero theme) desktop shortcut & alttab variations.

With CtrlAltTab, the 'switcher' is shown, but you dont have to keep the keys pressed.
Which is nice if you want to tune out for a bit in no man's land :)

Show the XP style alt-tab (without enabling classic theme):
    Hold down the left alt key.
    Press and release the right alt key.
    Keeping the left alt key held down the whole time, now tab-tab-tab away

Winkey+Spacebar shows the desktop temporarily

Tom

nidusin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 05:18 PM »
I know this isn't directly answering the question but Win+D will show the desktop immediately. Might save having to hit tab repeatedly  :).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:52 AM »
I know this isn't directly answering the question but Win+D will show the desktop immediately. Might save having to hit tab repeatedly  :).

Win+D is nice. I used use it a lot. What bothers me about it is this:
Right now firefox is the active window here (doh!) and there's a bunch of other windows open.
Win+D shows the desktop. When I go to alttab back to FF, it's gone to the end of the list/row.

Actually I hadn't noticed this before, but if I alttab to the desktop from FF, then alttab again, FF is again at the end of the list/row, even though it was the last focused window.

Strange & inconsistent behaviour imo (normally last focused app is next in the alttab list). I presume they had some sort of reason for doing it like that (but maybe not).
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:50 AM »
(normally last focused app is next in the alttab list).
but if I alttab to the desktop from FF, then alttab again, FF is again at the end of the list/row,

-but always with the desktop as the last last "at the end", right? It is, on my screen.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 03:56 AM »
(normally last focused app is next in the alttab list).
but if I alttab to the desktop from FF, then alttab again, FF is again at the end of the list/row,

-but always with the desktop as the last last "at the end", right? It is, on my screen.

correct :)
Tom