topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mouse follow option - idea  (Read 7531 times)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouse follow option - idea
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:08 AM »
I am working on multi-monitor configuration daily and I thought about small option called mouse follow.

Using it would mean that every screen capture would only take pictures for the screen where mouse is at (for me most of the screenshots done with PrtScr hit would give Monitor #2 only).
I understand that if I have both devices combined I can what I need but it is troublesome sometimes.

It would also be great to have fixed selection rectangle to follow this option too.
Every shortcut hit could give an image with already specified width and height for which the mouse is in the centre of it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mouse follow option - idea
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:10 AM »
Using it would mean that every screen capture would only take pictures for the screen where mouse is at

um... doesn't SC already work like this?
it does for me -- this is exactly how "capture screen" works on multimon setups.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:32 AM »
@mouser
For the first par you're right. I am sorry but I missed difference between entire workspace and screen.

But for second - it is little different.
What would I expect is not to have fixed sized rectangle which is like an overlay but rather automatic shot instead.

Currently:
- navigate somewhere and hit fixed shortcut,
- overlay rectangle appears with mouse in top left corner,
- you need to click and screenshot is done.
And it doesn't work nice with timed capture and applications menus.

What I would like to get:
- navigate somewhere,
- hit shortcut,
- screenshot done - rectangle with centre at mouse position.

--
On the other hand: it would be also nice to have little more options for interface visibility:
-  mouse follow - allow SC editor GUI to be always shown on one (specified) monitor,
- w/o mouse follow - respect settings and i.e. have it always minimized.

I am just thinking how SC could be even easier to use for my 2 monitors…

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:57 AM »
I just tried a screen capture on my second monitor and I noticed that on the left hand side there are around 7 pixels from the first monitor.  Similarly if I capture the first monitor it has a few pixels from the left screen.

Maybe this is a limitation of multi-monitor setups and is already a know issue (this is using version SSC 4.0 RC)?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 04:09 AM »
I just tried a screen capture on my second monitor and I noticed that on the left hand side there are around 7 pixels from the first monitor.  Similarly if I capture the first monitor it has a few pixels from the left screen.

are you doing a "screen" capture, or an active window capture of a maximized window?

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:24 AM »
I did some testing and I have the active windows on both monitors set to maximum and both monitors have the same resolution of 1280x1024

With Shift Print Screen set to grab active window ().  The results are:

Monitor number 1 captured an image size of 1288 x 1004 (and it had a little from the right monitor) and this monitor has the start bar but it is grabbing an extra 8 pixels.
Monitor number 2 captured an image size of 1280 x 1024 (and it had a little from the right monitor)

With Alt Print Screen set to grab current screen, the results are:

Monitor number 1 captured an image size of 1280 x 1024 with no excess for the right monitor
Monitor number 2 captured an image size of 1280 x 1024 (and it had a little from the right monitor)

Another observation: If I leave SSC open, it minimises (I have it set to minimise after capture) but I would have liked to see it stay open.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:59 AM »
right, ok to summarize your results, if i understand them -- the larger "incorrect" capture happens not when you grab the current screen but when you capture the active window and it happens to be maximized.  i think that's something to do with applications that are maximized reporting larger-than-monitor sizes when maximized.  i could add an option to try to correct that..

Another observation: If I leave SSC open, it minimises (I have it set to minimise after capture) but I would have liked to see it stay open.

im not sure i understand -- you have chosen the option to minimize after capture but you want it to stay open.. then why not choose the option to not-minimize after capture? :)

or do you mean it always minimized BEFORE performing a capture and you don't want it to do that?

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Sorry for the confusion  :-[

I have SSC configured to minimise after a capture. However, if I already have SSC open and I capture another screenshot, I thought it would remain open but instead it gets minimised.

So for instance, on monitor 1 I have SSC open and I take a screen shot on monitor 2, the screen is captured but SSC is minimised (note I can't confirm this for certain as I only have dual monitor in work and not at home where I am writing this).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:24 PM »
I have SSC configured to minimise after a capture. However, if I already have SSC open and I capture another screenshot, I thought it would remain open but instead it gets minimised.

that's a bug -- it should leave sc back on the screen and visible if it was visible at the time of capture. 

can you download the latest version i've uploaded and see if it fixes the problem.

Note: by default SC is still configured to minimize before each capture (and should now be restored after if it was visible at time of capture).  If you want to make it so SC is left alone and doesn't minimize before a capture, that is an option on the "Capture" tab.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:53 AM »
Using capture active window (with the window maximised) on monitor 1, it stills captures a few extra pixels on the right but it doesn't bother as I can crop it.

If I leave SSC open and active on one monitor and capture a screen from the other monitor, SSC gets minimised for a very short period of time and then gets restored to its previous state - I can live with that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 03:01 AM »
If I leave SSC open and active on one monitor and capture a screen from the other monitor, SSC gets minimised for a very short period of time and then gets restored to its previous state - I can live with that.

like i said if you dont want SC to self-minimize temporarily, uncheck the option in the "Capture" tab.

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 03:49 AM »
I read your advice but it went in one ear and out the other - sorry!  I have made the change and it works grand.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:25 AM by dluby »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 10:43 AM »

Heh I'll get the obligatory pun out of the way!

A "Mouser Follow Option!"

Follow the latest doings of Mouser!     :D