topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Building a Desktop  (Read 15998 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Building a Desktop
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 12:17 PM »
I've had really nasty BSODs that resulted in pretty nasty data corruption

Ditto for nVidia in the past - why I tend to go for all AMD systems - plus whilst I know core i5/7 gives best performance I still think AMD gives best bang for the money! Ihave been stung in the past mixing AMD and nVidia chipsets. Not sure about Intel and AMD/nVidia compatibility but since Intel seem to be getting out of the chipset game it is probably not worth wondering about any more!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 12:24 PM »
I've had really nasty BSODs that resulted in pretty nasty data corruption
Ditto for nVidia in the past - why I tend to go for all AMD systems - plus whilst I know core i5/7 gives best performance I still think AMD gives best bang for the money!
-Carol Haynes (March 07, 2013, 12:17 PM)
Humm, I've had a fair share of different GPUs in the past - probably skewed in favor of nvidia now, but I've had a decent number of ATI as well. Have had BSODs on both (though not any driver-related since Vista arrived, for good reasons), but the only time I've had royally screwed up system afterwards has been with ATI drivers.

Might get best bang for the buck with AMD, I'd go for their CPUs if I needed to build something budget. But they don't perform anywhere near Intel CPUs at the same clock rate. It's an awful shame, they really shook up the market (and stayed on top for a while!) after they launched the AMD64 architecture... but haven't delivered anything worthwhile since Intel introduced core2. I miss some competition :(

Ihave been stung in the past mixing AMD and nVidia chipsets. Not sure about Intel and AMD/nVidia compatibility but since Intel seem to be getting out of the chipset game it is probably not worth wondering about any more!
-Carol Haynes (March 07, 2013, 12:17 PM)
Hm, out of the chipset market? I heard they're getting out of the motherboard market, but I didn't think they were going to leave the chipset market?
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Dunno about GPU - haven't researched the market for a while, but I've been burned enough by bad AMD/ATi drivers (and noisy fans) that it'd take some convincing. And they still don't support PhysX, do they?

Not had many problems with ATI/AMD drivers (far fewer than I had with nVidia on my last system). There were a few dodgy Catalyst releases early in version 12 but verion 13 seems rock steady to me.
-Carol Haynes (March 07, 2013, 12:04 PM)

Ditto here.  I used to be a diehard nvidia fan.  But not now.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Hm, out of the chipset market?

It's hard to see how they can produce chipsets for motherboards if they don't actually make any motherboards. I read somewhere that they weren't even going to produce reference motherboards any more for other mobo makers - can't remember where I read it though. If that is the case why would any manufacturer use an Intel chipset for their products - would be a bit of a stab in the dark!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 11:02 PM »
It's hard to see how they can produce chipsets for motherboards if they don't actually make any motherboards.
-Carol Haynes (March 07, 2013, 07:32 PM)

Not really. The chipset drives the mobo's design rather than the other way around. You can make a mobo without engineering your own chipset, and most mobo makers don't produce their own. And chipset manufacturers generally haven't been in the habit of manufacturing motherboards either. Intel was always somewhat of an exception in that regard. But since they also made the CPU it was sorta moot anyway.

why would any manufacturer use an Intel chipset for their products
-Carol Haynes (March 07, 2013, 07:32 PM)

For the same reasons (i.e. price, performance, feature set) they would have to select a chipset from one of the other five companies (AMD, Broadcom, NVIDIA, SIS and VIA) that currently make them generally available for Intel x86 CPUs?

FWIW, Intel's chipsets are (last I heard) still the most commonly used - no matter who the mobo maker is.
 :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:08 PM by 40hz »