topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Software to help you quit smoking?  (Read 15470 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Software to help you quit smoking?
« on: April 26, 2006, 10:45 AM »
I have never smoked, but i came across this freeware program while browsing the author's free programming components.
Anyone know any other quit-smoking helper programs for those that need them? Anyone tried one? Did it help you?

http://www.xarka.com/freeware/index.html

QuitCounterSS.gif

Quit Counter v1.2
3,07 mb

Utility to help quit cigarette smoking. Keeps track of various statistics, friends and also congratulates the user with many different graphics on reaching various milestones. Can also copy statistics to the clipboard.

All texts and milestones can be customized.

If you smoke, read the texts at the site below.

You will see that you can stop smoking without magic and money with the simplest method - cold turkey!

WhyQuit is a valuable resource for education and motivation when quiting smoking and staying quit. Because smoking is not just a bad habit, but an addiction to the drug - nicotine.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software to help you quit smoking?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 10:48 AM »
As i've never smoked too, I'm also curious about this matter. How can a software actually help someone who is addicted to something?
Does anyone know someone who was successful with it?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:44 PM »
I have similar software on my Palm, but I use it to track my smoking patterns out of curiosity.  It failed to serve that purpose, though, as I don't remember to update it when I smoke . . . I need a computer chip to automatically detect when I light up.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 03:17 PM »
As i've never smoked too, I'm also curious about this matter. How can a software actually help someone who is addicted to something?
Does anyone know someone who was successful with it?

15 years ago my husband quit smoking with the aid of software.

It was on a small hand-held throw away device called LifeSign.

It had to be trained for one week, by him pushing a button each time he smoked. After that he could only smoke when it told him he could...and it gradually increased the length of time between cigarettes, till he was completely smoke free, which took about 3 weeks.

Now I'll tell you why it worked:

It could only be used once, at which point if you failed you had to throw it away and buy another one if you wanted to try again.

It cost $75.

With a price tag like that, you are more likely to put forth a greater effort in not failing, otherwise you have wasted a pretty large chunk of money. That alone is a really good incentive to stick with it and make it work.

The original LifeSign device is no longer available, but the company has replaced it with a newer, slightly less expensive model called QuitKey.

http://www.amazon.co...mputer/dp/B000EY3IUG

Now as an alternative to software, you could just pay my round trip transportation and feed & house me till you quit...and I promise to follow you around and smack you every time you light up. It would probably be more effective.  :D

of course this means I would be quitting too, since I am still a smoker, myself...but hey, I can do that in exchange for a free vacation.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 05:33 AM »
Aha, more fu(k|-|34d spammers on April Fool's Day.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 02:13 AM »
  Stop Spam Now

HeadSmoke.png

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:29 PM »
http://www.google.co...e=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Chantix?!? What a load of crap ... (Rather high Suicide rate as a "Side Effect") ... If you do the math in their commercials your chances of survival are better playing Russian Roulette than taking their product.

I've smoked for almost 30 years, and I think I'll just continue ... as it appears to be "^^^safer^^^" that way.