topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Using Screenshot Captor moves the shortcuts on my desktop  (Read 4684 times)

RonaldDumsfeld

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Using Screenshot Captor moves the shortcuts on my desktop
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:04 PM »
Hi, New user obviously.

Been looking for a screen capture utility which allows me to easily expand captured sections of the screen. (poor eyesight).

Unfortunately although Screenshotter looks to be an excellent product otherwise whenever I try to select a section of the captured image and then expand (enlarge) for reasons I cannot understand, the program moves all my on screen shortcuts around.

Done it three times now. This is no good.

If I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong or that it's a feature I'll have to keep looking...

Any tips please?

p.s. it happens everytime I try and use the magnifier option in Tools.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Using Screenshot Captor moves the shortcuts on my desktop
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:24 PM »
What you are experiencing is the Windows Magnifier tool -- it's not actually a part of Screenshot Captor, but it can be launched from it, which is what you are doing.

By default this Windows Magnifier tool DOCKS to the top of your screen -- resulting in your windows shortcut icons being moved.

To solve this, move your mouse to the magnification window docked to your screen, and DRAG it off the top so that it no longer is docked but is instead floating somewhere.  That should solve your problem.

RonaldDumsfeld

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Thanks for taking an interest mouser. Appreciated.

Actually I'm a bit embarassed. The first 30 minutes with any new software tends to be a bit confusing but that doesn't justify instant forum panic.....

I did try what you suggested but no luck. Every time the magnifier opens it resorts all mu shortcut icons no matter where it was when it closed the previous time. Getting fed up rearranging my icons maually every trial so the best solution appears to be - don't use magnifier.

I have now found the resize image option in the edit menu which does something similar to what I'm looking for but I think I need something like a simple cropping and zooming tool. I'll keep looking and maybe come back if I cannot find anything better suited to my requirements.

Thanks again for your kindness.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Hmm.. im not sure why that should happen.

But if you want to operate only within screenshot captor, remember you can use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out quickly, or the vertical zoom slider at the far right of the window.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Maybe the OP could try alternative screen magnifiers?  Here are two:

• KwikLoupe
    A simple screen magnifier. Magnification ranges from 2x to 64x with a quick locate option to position the viewing window. The tool magnifies the area around the mouse pointer
  • OneLoupe
    (by the author of Q-Dir)  OneLoupe is required to view everything on the screen enlarged.  Simple and easy to use, the small Magnifier is always ready when you need it to view all fine details, even the small print in the I-Net to decipher. 

RonaldDumsfeld

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Thank you for your kind suggestions.

Ideally what I'm looking for is something I can use to draw a box round any part of the screen, capture than image in a window then use the windows borders in the usual way to make it larger or smaller, then save that for use in other documents.

Being able to annotate, label, caption etc would be a plus but really all I want to do is quickly make small stuff a readable size for myself and others. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Screenshot Captor actually has a feature that might be useful for you for that.

First, use Shift+Printscreen key to capture the selection region of the desktop.

Then use your mouse scroll wheel to quickly zoom the image to the size you want it.

Then choose "Adjust Image to Current View" from the Edit Menu to resize the image to what you see, and save (Ctrl+S).

[to make this quicker you'll want to change the mode after capture to automatically show the main SC window after each capture instead of showing the post-capture popup dialog].

RonaldDumsfeld

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:16 AM »
That's good mouser. Thanks.

Unfortunately I seem to be a bit slower witted than the average but I'll get there eventually.