topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lastpass  (Read 8576 times)

ibxx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lastpass
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Stupid question but - can Lastpass service see/track all the websites I open (to check if there are passwords for that page saved) or is everything happening inside the browser?
I was thinking about using it for some of my passwords/info but I don't want to share my whole browsing history with them....
 :tellme:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lastpass
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:00 PM »
2013-01-20_225918.gif

ibxx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Eh, not exactly what I was asking :)
OK. I downloaded extension and it seams on most pages it doesn't "call home".
Unless you are on a page with saved logging form. Then it sends info to lastpass.com domain (even if you don't plan to log in)
I guess it could potentially track you on all the pages with saved forms.
Not sure if I'm comfortable with that - it's like having someone standing behind your back an telling you:Oh, oh, you can log in here! and there, on this page too, and this one. And every time it sends those website to Lastpass.com
Mhmm, I think I'll stick with Firefox password manager...  :-\

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Unless you are on a page with saved logging form. Then it sends info to lastpass.com domain (even if you don't plan to log in)
Not sure if I'm comfortable with that - it's like having someone standing behind your back an telling you:Oh, oh, you can log in here! and there, on this page too, and this one. And every time it sends those website to Lastpass.com
  Have you looked at Roboform?

ibxx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 05:09 PM »
  Have you looked at Roboform?

Nah, I don't really NEED a new password manager. I already use Keepass I just wanted to sync (Firefox/Chrome/Opera) all those less important passwords - like pwds to forums etc.
Not something I would spend $30-40 for...
But thanks for suggestion. :)

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Never was a more timely question asked.

I have been using LastPass for about a year now, and as a rresult of this thread I have just removed it.

First to answer your question, my understanding of how they do that is that when a vulnerability has been announced and they get a copy of the compromised accounts from their security partner (sorry I've forgotten who that is) they then cross check the list with the email address you used to create your LastPass account.  I've never felt the security was a problem and I really liked the cross platform operation, both on OSes (Win and MAC) and across browsers (for me Chrome, IE, and FF).

So here is why I removed it today.  Lately I have noticed what appears to be an unpublished cap on the number of entries you can have in the database. Roughly 24, but to be honest I was so pissed off I didn't bother counting.  The manifestation of this was that I started to lose entries when I created a new one. So, I'd go back to recreate the entry and then later - some times days or weeks - would discover another important entry missing.

I wanted to tell you the above security thingie today so of course I came here to the web site (I ready the headlines via RSS btw) and asked LastPass to enter my details. Which it did. And incorrectly so. There is a feature within the LastPass database (The "Vault") that hides passwords, but you can click a link to reveal them.  It seems that LastPass saved my password as ********.  Yes, that's right, a string of asterisks.

I frequent this site although I'm more of a lurker than anything else.  But I'm here everyday to read something of interest that has surfaced in the RSS feed. As a result I was severely ticked off when this happened.  I no longer can use LastPass, can no longer recommend it and will at every opportunity campaign against its use.

I have been irritated with their support level as well for some months.  When I first noticed the issue with disappearing credentials, I tried to send a support email. Nope, not possible.  Instead, you are directed to a "Support" page with several dozen links to help articles that for me never had anything to do with my problems.  You can search on key words, but that's an imperfect form of black magic, even with the best search engines.  And no where is there a "Contact Us" link.  Christ, that's the type of thing I tell people is a sign of things to stay away from.

So there you have it.  I still think the idea is a great one.  Before I hit the limit on entries, LastPass did everything I asked of it.  But once I hit that magic spot, everything came apart.

Having said all of this, I acknowledge that having played with computers for roughly 20 years, and supported them at a University for 15 of those years means I am no expert.  So, if someone else had a good experience with LastPass and feels *I* have made a mistake or could have easily solved my problem with the service, please do let me know.

In the meantime, I will be taking recommendations for a new password keeper because I am pathetic with the remember a password doing thing.

Dale
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Daleus, I'm not sure what you mean by a cap on the number of entries one can have in the database.  What database?  The only database I'm aware of is the one holding all my passwords, and in the several years that I've used LastPass, I've never seen anything like a cap on that (I have well over a hundred entries).  Also, I don't recall ever finding that any have disappeared.  So I assume you're referring to a different database, but what is it?

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:45 AM »
What database are you talking about that has a limit? I have over 200 sites stored in my LP database with zero problems.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Daleus - likewise, I have a couple of hundred logins saved. I imported many from Roboform, many defunct now, and duplicates and/or variations, but there's no sign of Lastpass removing any. Which makes your problem sound like a bug, maybe(?)
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:34 PM »
I have over a thousand logins on LastPass and hundreds of secure notes.

By the way it doesn't cost $30-40 either - it is free unless you want to use the LastPass for Applications or on mobile devices such as Blackberry phones in which case the paid for version costs $12 a year.

I also secure my account with a YubKey so only authorised devices can access my account.

Never had a single problem with LastPass forgetting logins or not saving a password correctly.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Yes. The LastPass database that holds your username/password combos etc.

I have reached a point where everytime I add a new one, one of the old ones goes away.  Very very frustrating and undermines my trust in the product to a point where I think I'm done with them.

I couldn't find anything like it in their support database and they have no easy way of getting in touch so I decided it was time to terminate.

I'm happy that all of you have hundreds or more entries with no trouble. Not my experience.  I *have* been very satisfied up until a couple of months ago when this nonsense began. It was only today when it royally screwed with my Donation Coder password that I decided it was time.

It *has* since been pointed out that perhaps there was a problem with the database and perhaps I should have looked for a database oriented fix, which I totally was *not* looking for in their support system.

Of course, now I feel like a total dork.

Obviously my tolerance for solving computer problems has sunk to an all new low. I have no idea how I'm going to continue to do it for another ten years until I can retire.  Methinks I'll be living unemployed and in a ditch soon ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:52 PM by Daleus »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Support page for contacting them, after clicking SUPPORT and then MY ACCOUNT: https://lastpass.com/my.php

It seems no one here is able to reproduce your problem. My father uses the free service and has no problems with it, and he has over 400+ logins, much to my dismay and constant pressure for him to clean them up.

I've submitted support tickets and had them resolved fairly quickly. I've also emailed support and received responses from Joe on multiple occasions, even before I paid for the service.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 01:05 PM »
... my tolerance for solving computer problems has sunk to an all new low.
I can relate to that.

One thing you could do (if you wanted) to stay with LastPass is export your info and create a new account and import.
Tom

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 01:34 PM »
tomos,

That is exactly what I just did and I may have uncovered part of the evil plot to steal my DonationCoder.com password.....

Says the latest version of FireFox (18.0.1) is not compatible with the browser extension.  Hhhrrmmppph. Seems to be working fine with Chrome and even IE.

I'm beginning to see how Firefox is losing the battle and how Chrome is picking up the slack.

Now, after a day of arsing around with this thing, I am exhausted.

Regarding submitting a ticket, I followed Josh's link and saw no difference in what I had already experienced - I kept getting directed to the page o links. Going down the rabbit hole a bit further, I just clicked on a random FAQ link and discovered that you don't get to see links to submit a ticket until after you click on one of the links to go to one of their FAQs.

So for ranting and carrying on like I'm five, for the cursing and swearing, for the pendulum swing of emotion (cuz it sure wasn't logic) I apologize and issue many thanks to all who responded and tried to be helpful.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:42 PM by Daleus »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Did you sign in to your account? To access that page, you must be signed in. I can see a "Support summary" at the bottom of the page.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Did you sign in to your account? To access that page, you must be signed in. I can see a "Support summary" at the bottom of the page.

Yep I see the same thing.

I see the request summary box with nothing in it, and the "support request" link in that box. Same as clicking the button above it - takes me to the Faq page.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 02:55 PM »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 04:41 PM »
Strange - I am running FF 18.0.1 and LP extension works just fine.

You sure you haven't got a conflicting or badly behaved extension installed?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:03 PM »
I am with Carol on this one. It sounds like there are deeper issues than LastPass on this one.