topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lego goes Linux !  (Read 3054 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lego goes Linux !
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:15 AM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:24 AM by Carol Haynes »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lego goes Linux !
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:29 AM »
Nice find, Carol  :Thmbsup:
I've been hoping somebody would come up with a Linux method for programming NXT Mindstorms, but all we ever got was a bare-bones library.  With this announcement, it's closer, but I still see no solid evidence of Lego supporting a client or SDK that would make it easy write Mindstorm programs with Linux.  The way he says "in a limited way" (verbatim, twice) doesn't offer a whole lot of optimism either.  Hopefully that situation will be rectified soon...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:06 PM »
I think GPL may be getting in the way since Lego probably doesn't want to open its kimono too much as far as the underlying Mindstorm controller goes.

There are, however, funtional Raspberry Pi implementations already in the works or available as this project shows.

Supposedly the new Mindstorms is also planning iOS and other mobile support. Hard to really find much out since most of the Google pages discussing the new EV3 no longer go anywhere (possibly because Lego requested they be taken down?)

Unfortunately, with reduced school budgets and a renewed emphasis on "teaching the basics," the cost of EV3 may be prohibitive for many school systems (24 student starter pack goes for $4700 USD. A single EV3 core set is $340 without software, which shows as being a separate purchase. Couldn't find the pricing on just the software. The only page I did find about that merely provided a form to "request a quote.")

Be interesting to read Lego's license terms for EV3. From what I can see it requires a site license if a school wants to load it on more than on PC! (Doesn't that imply they offer more than one set of license terms to schools?) I tried to find a copy of the license on their website. No joy I'm afraid.
 :-\

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08 PM »
I think GPL may be getting in the way since Lego probably doesn't want to open its kimono too much as far as the underlying Mindstorm controller goes.
I wasn't expecting it to be totally open (well, one can hope...), but at least I would have liked to see cross-platform software for programming the thing.  That's what stopped me from experimenting with it 5 years ago.  Besides the rather exorbitant pricing, that is...

24 student starter pack goes for $4700 USD. A single EV3 core set is $340 without software, which shows as being a separate purchase.

Oooookey-dokey then; I'll just stick with learning Arduino with my son.  He's taking a robotics class, maybe he can teach the old man something...

There are, however, funtional Raspberry Pi implementations already in the works or available as this project shows.
Nice project.  Now, if you could simply replace the NXT brick entirely...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:43 PM »
^Hear ya on the $$$ for the Lego stuff.

If I were going to get into robotics I'd probably start with an Arduino plus this book plus some plans, shield kits, or components from these people.

The book is by the people at Make who I have quite a bit of respect for. I keep looking at it every time I'm in our local bookstore. So far I've been able to resist the temptation and not get sidetracked by yet another bit of technology I find really interesting. ;D

Addendum: Make sells a "maker" general purpose prototyping shield for $17 that looks worth getting.
 8) :Thmbsup: